• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie's first bullion buy

Deadwood

So today I received , although it should maybe read today I made my first buy and possibly my first newbie buy (Royal Mint), however I still feel quite pleased with myself as it is the first bullion I have ever owned.

Wait for it ...........

A full gold Sovereign and X 2 Britannia's (Silver) via the Royal mint, I won't bore you all with photos as I am sure you have all seen them before.

First impressions and probably normal ones, I was surprised at the size of the Sovereign , however it was still a special moment to hold one (Newb)  on the other hand I was blown away by the Britannia coin , although not a proof coin it was stunning to look at out of the wrapper and it has left me wanting more.

I am not sure if I am now to become a stacker or a collector or a combination of both, I have enjoyed reading the advice and post's from member's here and now I have taken the first step into Silver/Gold I am itching to learn and own more.

Thank you if you took time to read this.

Kind regard's

Deadwood

Nice pick ups, keep an eye on the premiums buying individual coins like that. Better to buy elsewhere if you want to get more for your money - anywhere but the royal mint for gold and look for VAT free coins from the EU for silver. STG for example. 

As for the first impressions I had a similar experience with my first sovereigns which were 2014 newly minted back when I started stacking. Sovereigns are fractional coins, which from my point of view are never quite as awe inspiring as a full ounce of gold. Also bear in mind that gold is also much denser than silver - this is more noticeable when comparing a fractional gold piece side by side with a full ounce of silver.

Try a gold Britannia next time perhaps, treat yourself to a full ounce of the pure stuff! Nothing quite like a ounce of pure gold in hand. Very dense metal and the colour is very attractive - totally different to the copper gold colour of a sovereign. The modern sovs are more comparable to a brand new penny in colour, heavier of course. I am not sure why the colour is so off on the new ones compared to the older coins, I personally really don't like them because of this. The older sovs are wonderful things though.    

Now your addicted :), I remember when i first started stacking, money was tight and i wanted as many silver Eagles as i could own, i went round the house, even felt round the furniture, went through the car to get enough for a coin, i went to the bank put it in and bought another eagle,after that i started selling stuff to buy silver,It can be very addictive. 

I have a birthday coming up and it will be silver i ask for, as it has been for years.Your ours now Deadwood welcome to the P.M. twilight zone.:ph34r:.

Lot's of replies to my post and I felt the love, Sorry KDave I could not like your post as I have restricted newbie privileges , loving the advice though .

I am still working my way through the forum post's on advice etc.

I did note there was a newbie advice page and credit to the author but shame on me for this late hour and maybe a dram or 12 I cannot remember their name.

It was however an excellent post and I will look it up again .

The one thing I have got my head around so far is to read through the forums, it take's time but ,I have found answer's and giggle's before I have to ask question's.

Kind regard's

Deadwood

Archived