• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Choosing a gas furnace for pouring copper & occasional silver bars...

Hi all

I have a fairly large collection of scrap copper and would like to pour some bars, however the facility I am using has no electric so I am limited to gas or at a push charcoal.  Can anyone recommend a furnace and/or go through factors on selecting a suitable capacity?  Also what kit will I need including safety gear?  I already have a brazing hearth as a start and some snips but that about all...

I have a Devil Forge and it works really well.

A crucible to melt the metal.

Mold to pour your copper into.

Crucible tongs to lift and pour.

Good thick gloves and face protection.

A metal skimmer to skim off the dross/slag.

Propane tank to power the forge.

If you need more details let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, this is off topic but don't want to create a new thread for this question. 

Is there any benefits of turning scrap metal into shot first before melting again for the final product? The main reason I ask is that I see a lot of shot being sold on eBay rather than scrap.

On 14/08/2021 at 19:32, Bigmarc said:

Hello, this is off topic but don't want to create a new thread for this question. 

Is there any benefits of turning scrap metal into shot first before melting again for the final product? The main reason I ask is that I see a lot of shot being sold on eBay rather than scrap.

What metals are we talking about? 

3 hours ago, danmc82 said:

What metals are we talking about? 

Tin, just got a little project going on. Was just trying to work out if I put scrap through the shot making progress first, does it add any benefits other than making it faster to melt. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

Tin, just got a little project going on. Was just trying to work out if I put scrap through the shot making progress first, does it add any benefits other than making it faster to melt. 

Cheers

Apart from it being purer Id guess not. For scrap metal its probably not worth the time or effort to turn into shot first.