• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

EBAY RIP OFF?

ARGAR

Hello all

A new member here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231629030976?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I have seen the above item on ebay,
How can the seller justify that price if you can still get this item on the Royal mint bullion site for around £95? (See link below)
https://www.royalmintbullion.com/Products/Lunar/Gold/UKS15GTS

I'm new to gold and silver collecting, am i missing something? or is the seller just hoping for somebody buying this who has no clue about coins?

Best regards

ARGAR

No your not missing something, traders on Ebay can list 'buy it now' very cheaply and if an ill informed buyer comes along then I feel sorry for them.  What you state is correct No clue about coins.  

Before you buy Gold check the Spot price, aim to pay as close as you can including postage to that price. Check the forum for dealers, UK dealers are usually cheaper though not always for gold. If you want a specific coin you may have to pay a premium.    

There are a few like this on Ebay, sometimes they list a Buy It Now product with a ridiculous inflated price then also run another one on an auction alongside it, people now think they have got a bargain when the auction finishes cheaper.  And if some mug actually buys it at the inflated price then it's all good as far as the seller is concerned.

Edit - Hatton Garden Metals is your best bet for reasonable pricing on Gold, with Ebay sellers usually have to add enough to cover what Ebay and Paypal takes off them.

If as you say you are new to gold and silver then my advice is DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY until you have gained some experience and could spot a fake coin or bar.

Before you buy a sovereign or silver Maple get the genuine item in your hand first.

Could you tell the difference between a full sovereign and a half sovereign for example ?

If someone in the street handed you one of these coins, you might get it wrong.

Believe me, as I have tried this on many friends and only when you have both in your hand at the same time can you easily spot the difference.

Assuming you are taking the plunge get decent electronic scales and maybe a vernier calliper or micrometer and check weights and dimensions of coins against specifications.

Measuring thickness however is the most difficult due to rims etc. so has to be averaged over the surface.

Then and only then, take a punt on eBay if you see a coin you want, when you have more knowledge and something to compare.

Most sellers on eBay are of course genuine but it only takes one bad apple .....

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have made a few school boy errors when i first started buying coins.
I started buying silver from the royal mint website to begin with, until i realized that silver-to-go was a better option.
so far i have got....

1 x 1oz gold Britannia, 1 x 1oz gold lunar sheep, 4 x 10th oz gold lunar sheep, 60 x 1 oz silver Britannias, 50 x 30g silver pandas, 2 x UK full sovereigns, 1 x Indian full sovereign(2015), 10 x 1oz various perth mint, 2 x 1 kilo 2015 Kooks and a few other odds n sods.

I made a Google docs spreadsheet to keep track of spot price at time of purchase, total cost per coin etc.
It's similar to MS excel but free to use if you use chrome as a desktop/tablet browser. 

Question for you guys....

Is there anyway cheaper to get UK lunar proofs other than the RM website?

All the best 

ARGAR 

Archived