• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Brittannia 1oz coins

Fifsilver

I was wondering if it usual for my silver Britannia coins to weigh slightly over 31.21? Mine seem to vary upwards to 31.39. Is this normal or is something wrong about them? Does everyone else's weigh exactly 31.21 as it states they should be? Thanks in advance

Are you using super accurate and recently calibrated scales, or did they cost £5 off Amazon ? 

Without being too facetious I'd imagine therein lies your problem. 

If they pass the magnet/slide test and the weight is in the range you describe I wouldn't worry.

Also buying from a trusted source should also give you reassurance (IE not eBay)

Yes I am using the cheaper scales so that probably solves that.

I do have a small neodymium magnet which I have ordered. I have used a normal magnetic in all my coins and they are not magnetic but I will try again with this better one I have ordered.

I have had a quick look into the magnetic/slide test and noticed they use large magnetics and slide the coin down. Could be a stupid question but would it work to do it the other way round and use a small magnet and see if it slides down the coin slower? 

1 hour ago, Fifsilver said:

I have had a quick look into the magnetic/slide test and noticed they use large magnetics and slide the coin down. Could be a stupid question but would it work to do it the other way round and use a small magnet and see if it slides down the coin slower?

Yes same principle, I just use a small one in that manner 👍

If you are too worried you can do a specific gravity test. BackyardBullion has a couple of videos explaining it nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=backyard+bullion+specific+gravity+test

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

Yes I am using the cheaper scales so that probably solves that.

I do have a small neodymium magnet which I have ordered. I have used a normal magnetic in all my coins and they are not magnetic but I will try again with this better one I have ordered.

Thanks for the advice to both, I have tried the sliding magnet technique and it passed that so that has put my mind at rest. I have looked into the gravity test and that is useful to know also. I did this to all my coins and luckily all are good. I will use a recommended seller in future for all purchases. Most of my coins are bought from them but I did purchase a couple of eBay buy like I said luckily they were fine too. Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

Archived