• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stacking inflation sensitive tangibles?

fhfhfh.jpg

Obviously most of us are on here as we like precious metals due to their ability to hold wealth or as part of a diversified asset portfolio. 
I have been on the fence about this, but after a years intense learning i think there is a real threat from inflation coming within the next 5-10 years,
Maybe even when we are let out again & people start spending huge savings. If its minor then fine, but Im not so sure & want to at least consider a plan. 

I was considering getting a list of items that traditionally get clobbered during inflation and hyper inflation (in modern times). 
I guess every situation is different, so maybe we could look at all the recent 1st world inflationary countries and work out what got hit the most?
I can see its 21 countries in the last 25 years so maybe we can choose the 5 that are most like the UK. 

Venezuela (2016-2019), Argentina, Iran (Now), Yugoslavia (1992-1994), Lebbanon (now), Sudan (now)

https://schiffgold.com/peters-podcast/peter-schiff-hyperinflation-is-the-most-probable-scenario/

Excluding Zimbabwe they dont seem to last long which is a positive thing, but it would be a fabulous time to offload these goods at a decent profit. 
I realise they're maybe some minor ethical considerations, especially if its that bad, but hey I thought ahead and they did not so hmmm. 
I bet toilet roll dealers & hand sanitiser firms cleaned up (pardon the pun) last year!!! 

Or barter these goods for other items. 

One major consideration is size, space for storage and also shelf life. 
Obviously stocks & other non held assets are a consideration, but let's deal with stuff you can physically buy and hold. 

Food is the obvious one as there is so much that goes on in the supply chain. 
But items like Meat & other perishables are not really practical - plus I only have certain space in the freezer. 

It also needs to be somehting that I will use or can sell on at the same price if nothing happens. 
Anyhow if beef or lamb goes up 1000% then i will just farm and eat fish (thats my background also). 

Being divisible would be a bonus. I have been stacking coffee this year, so can break up bags to smaller ones. 
Something that accrues value and ticks the above would be fabulous. 

Anything large or complex that lasts, that is made of metals, plastics, such as electronics, televisions, machines, tools, etc. Shipping costs increase and items will see price increases relative to volume.

Double value for tools as it will allow you to do work yourself and save paying inflated prices for tradesmen in a few years. 

If you own a house get works done now, windows, roofing, guttering, solar panels, etc.

I bought some stone slabs last year and put in a patio, cost of a pallet £350. I have another area to do and looked in Feb for another pallet - now £420, but out of stock. I asked when they were back in "already on the boat from India be here in two weeks". The stone came in stock, price now £450 a pallet. £100 price increase in less than a year, that is with a strong £, so its inflation. I hear that shipping containers have gone from 3000 dollars each to 15000 dollars, hence costs are being passed on in consumer prices as expected.

I have also done some doors and skirting over the winter, I was finishing off the skirting this month and prices for timber have almost doubled since this time last year. 

Also bear in mind that whenever you pay someone for services a big chunk of the cost is tax cost that is being passed on to you. So buying tools to do work yourself saves on paying the state taxes. Or find someone willing to be paid cash in hand, plenty about. 

Archived