• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The first coin you ever bought or received...photos please.

What coin began it all, the first, you may have received it or bought it but let's see where all began and tell us the history, ill start.

My first coin was a gift from my mother, she's read in the paper of these collectable coins that would certainly go up in value so thought to buy me and my brother one each, the advert was from her bank and so she went and bought them and got them in these bank flips for 50p each, 25 years later I saw one in an antique store and asked how much to buy one and the massive return dawned on me, what had been bought for 50p over 2 decades earlier was now worth an incredible 50p....yup, it hadn't moved one iota in 25 years..there's value for money...lol..here's the coin that began it all, that miraculously has lasted now 43 years in its plastic holder with no plastic problems, the holder is probably worth more then the coin but its now a priceless sentimental piece now my moms gone and its traveled over four thousand miles in four moves from the West Midlands to the North of England to Massachusetts twice and then finishing in South West Florida....not bad traveling for 44 years.

20210320_144552.jpg

20210320_144532.jpg

It started for me with a notion that I wanted to own something recovered from a ship wreck.
I picked up this coin and then learned about the process of grading (through this forum) and subsequently submitted it. 
So this was both my first coin purchase and first coin sent for grading. Since then it has grown (in a good way) and I enjoy collecting a wide variety of coins for a whole host of different reasons. Note: My wallet disagrees!

Just to add- The reason for this particular coin / ship wreck - Well the boat (Douro) sank on my birthday so I took this as a sign that this was the right coin to purchase.

coin1.PNG

Not my first silver, as I'd been a collector of antique silver for a few years previous but my first coin purchase was this 1896 silver Liberty Dollar, nothing special but I wanted a silver dollar and this was the only one I'd seen in the coin shop, the owner was a gentleman and gave it to me for €22 all the way back in September 2010.

I've bought a few bits and bobs over the years from him and only ever sold 1 coin, a tourist/customer left me his loose change having served him his last pint of Guinness..........Long story short, one of the coins made a funny sound, blah de blah, checked them all out and in with the dirty old bashed up coppers was a filthy dirty half sovereign 🙃🤣

I probably should have kept it, but we split the tips between the 3 barstaff so off to the coin dealer i go, we had a nice night out on the back of that.

20210320_201408.jpg

20210320_201352.jpg

Many years ago I had a job that required me to regularly travel to Germany. I was working in cologne and bullion seemed very popular and was sold by banks and big upmarket stores. I was desperate to dip my tow in but bottled it at the last minute, when I think back now it seems strange to feel intimidated buy such a simple task.

My birthday was coming up and my brother asked what I would like. I told him about my interest and on the big day I received a 1977 sterling jubilee coin (the year I was born). At the time I was a bit disappointed as the majority of these coins are not silver and who would tell the difference. But it's my first coin and I will never part with it.

My mates and I were off to Lisbon the following weekend. Again there were coin shops everywhere. It was a bit of a boozy afternoon but managed to disappear for a hour to fulfill my craving, I purchased three items and the rest is history.1293204708_IMG_20210320_1956296702.thumb.jpg.49c1451b11be458a28ef1757729e1556.jpg1454303098_IMG_20210320_1959484082.thumb.jpg.f99347b5432fa90b5f8b5ea9496e5526.jpg

Archived