• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Kookaburra Kilos in wooden box

GavitSilver

I am currently selling a Kookaburra 1 kg silver coin 2004 that comes in one of those wooden boxes with number and certificate of authenticity. I do not know a lot about them, but it seems to me that the wooden box and certificate were not issued directly by the Perth Mint. My box, as many others, has western australian mint written on it. I have tried to google western australian mint, to get to know more about it, but without any luck. The point is that an ebay user made me notice that my coin box and certificate are numbered 3027, but the perth mint declares a mintage of 2712 pieces for 2004. Do you think the box and the certificate come from a different kookaburra? Do you know how these coins were numbered by this western australian mint? The only reason I can think for the box being changed would be that a previous owner had multiple kookaburra 1 kilos and put them in the wrong boxes. Do you know if the numbering of these boxes follows another criteria instead of mintage by year? Both the box and certificate do not have any year on them.

The "MAIN MAN" with regards to Perth Mint that I refer to may be able to assist here! @motorbikez

His Knowledge on the "proofs etc" out of Perth seems to be extensive

I personally got this one from him 👍 - It came in the BOX pictured!

IMG_3774.thumb.jpg.af9d3c2fb3f0e64ff518ea05baa87ef6.jpg

IMG_3775.thumb.jpg.d971079046eab5440063e150c9808d90.jpg

IMG_3776.thumb.jpg.c00ca2907283903dee2cbbef5f54f1fd.jpg

IMG_3773.thumb.jpg.dadd1856394febc9750257710ad333dc.jpg

Note - it's 275 of only 382 produced! 😉

@GavitSilver The coin you have is not a proof but a bullion coin, the only proof Kook coin from 2004 was part of a 5 coin set which had a declared mintage of 165.

The 2004 bullion coin had a declared mintage of 2712 which is what you have. Regarding the certificate number which is of very little importance re bullion coins, when they minted them initially they didn't know what the demand may be, so perhaps 5000 certs were printed. They just put them in boxes randomly so that is how it is possible you have a cert number higher than the declared mintage. Or if it is just some random Aus company buying a few kilo kooks & boxing them up they can put whatever cert no they want in the box.

A picture would have been helpful, so this id the best I can do to answer your query.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Thanks all for your replies!

11 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

@GavitSilver The coin you have is not a proof but a bullion coin, the only proof Kook coin from 2004 was part of a 5 coin set which had a declared mintage of 165.

The 2004 bullion coin had a declared mintage of 2712 which is what you have. Regarding the certificate number which is of very little importance re bullion coins, when they minted them initially they didn't know what the demand may be, so perhaps 5000 certs were printed. They just put them in boxes randomly so that is how it is possible you have a cert number higher than the declared mintage. Or if it is just some random Aus company buying a few kilo kooks & boxing them up they can put whatever cert no they want in the box.

A picture would have been helpful, so this id the best I can do to answer your query.

@motorbikez is correct, I am talking about the bullion coin. That's what I said to the ebay user. That number is not necessarily related to the declared mintage. Below are some pictures, what do you think?

image.thumb.png.b4d87ab7bdf78526ca51b30b842553cd.png

image.thumb.png.9e5f52766356e5579a78d332ec415a08.png 

@GavitSilver Now I've seen the photos I have seen that exact style of certificate & it is from the Perth Mint, although I haven't seen that box before I believe that is also from the Perth Mint. The logo is one of Perth mints older style designs & if you look at it it has EST 1899 which is when Perth Mint started, probably previously called Western Australian mint.

They probably were doing a bit of a retro theme, whether that box as you suggest was for that exact coin I don't know but at least the coin looks absolutely right to me & the box would make a good shipper for the coin.

Best of luck with your sale.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived