• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this tarnish and can I clean it?

Redladybug987

Hi there! 

I’m pretty new to Numismatics and need some advice on a purchase I received from an eBay transaction.

I bought a Niue 2019 ‘Gods’ series Hephaestus coin, which was just delivered in its original box and in a capsule.  There appears a significant area on his shoulder muscle that is either stained or tarnished, and I am not sure what to do with this?

The coin is ‘antiqued’ silver, so is this something that could be safely cleaned off without detracting from the coin’s appearance or value?  Or would this warrant asking for a return/refund via eBay? 

Many thanks in advance! 

DE134BDE-CEA1-43CA-97B9-6554FF15B7EC.jpeg

167AF39C-6CEC-4531-86A0-B8901F3125AC.jpeg

9FEFBCBC-30DD-4AEA-BFC0-D927DB9E1450.jpeg

It could be tarnish, but looking at stock photos of that coin that area seems to have a shinier finish to give contrast (darker in recesses, lighter on high areas) so maybe it's a 'flaw' from the finishing process.

I wouldn't personally try and clean a high relief 'antiqued' coin as I wouldn't know the process used to get the antiqued finish. You may just possibly do something untoward...

Just my two pennies worth though. If it's going to annoy you then you may regret the purchase. At least you have eBay buyer protection to be be able to return it. 

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

It's possibly an artifact from the antiquing process. Personally I think it adds a certain something to the overall effect and wouldn't want to "fix" it.

That's a good point, I imagine with antiquing each one is supposed to be slightly different to the next as opposed to fresh regular bullion which is supposed to be uniform.

It looks like the surface layer is missing. If i saw a pieces looking like this i would think the plated coating had worn off. Say for example the silver plate had worn off leaving the base metal underneath. i know nothing about these medals / rounds - is it a contamination from whatever is done to create the golden hammer?
It is some sort of defect - i wouldn't try to clean it - you will probably make things worse. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I have asked to return and will buy one elsewhere.

I think it looks too obvious to add character as the colour is so different to the coin and materials used, it just makes it look tarnished or grubby and really draws the eye.  Also, I feel if I ever wanted to sell it on in future, I would have to list that as a defect, which could really affect its retail value. 

Archived