• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

'Normal' gold Britannia coins or special editions?

Northerner

Hello all - My first post here.

I plan to start purchasing 1oz gold Britannias in the New Year (at the rate of one coin every 2-3 months on an ongoing basis).  I don't intend selling until 15-20 years from now.

I already have investments in stocks and shares, pensions, property, etc... this is just to add to the mix.

The question is: Would I be better off buying 'normal' gold Britannias or special edition coins (like the Queen's Beasts)?  (I'm not talking about paying a large premium to collect older or rare special edition coins, just paying £15 or so extra to get current and future special editions from the Royal Mint as they are released).

I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to buy 'normal' Britannias as they would be more widely recognised, or whether the special editions are more likely to be a better investment because of relative rarity.  I appreciate no-one can predict the future, but what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

It’s an investment decision that carries some risk. They may be worth more, or not so it is a gamble with the additional premium. 

I have a mixture but focus on weight and any additional upside is a bonus. 

I prefer Sovs though for their flexibility and liquidity. 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I like your proposed choice of Brits, and medium to long term strategy. It worked for me buying Krugerrands and Britannias over 20 years ago for about £220 each. That's a profit of over 650%!  but I am still collecting at todays prices. I am expecting delivery of the 2021 Britannia this afternoon from ATS Bullion for £1434. I find 'Bullion by Post' more expensive. However 'fractionals' are also popular especially the Queens Beasts 1/4oz. This series has now finished, so we wait and see what's next. Having said all that, I have more sovereigns than Brits. The sovereign will always be a popular choice but is now the only gold coin from the RM minted in 22ct gold. Personally, I would like to see the a 'New Sovereign' minted in 999 gold in 1/4oz spec. perhaps as a one-off. I expect no one else on this forum to agree to that suggestion. Anyway, start with bullion, then maybe diversify into proof sets, special varieties, and then numismatic etc. Even 'Numistacker' has the collecting bug!

Good-luck.  

17 hours ago, Northerner said:

Thanks both, but if you were married to a Chinese you would know that there's only one sort of gold... 24ct! (OK, 999 these days).  22ct Sovereigns? Ugh! ;)

But you don't live in China and not planning on taking all your gold there to sell are you? Sovereigns are popluar and sell very quickly. Sovereigns are awesome 

Another interesting point... where's the best place to sell?

As I said, I plan to keep any coins I buy for many years, but it would be interesting to get an idea of how close to spot price one might be able to achieve today with physical gold coins.

On 27/11/2020 at 15:44, Britannia47 said:

I like your proposed choice of Brits, and medium to long term strategy. It worked for me buying Krugerrands and Britannias over 20 years ago for about £220 each. That's a profit of over 650%!  but I am still collecting at todays prices. I am expecting delivery of the 2021 Britannia this afternoon from ATS Bullion for £1434. I find 'Bullion by Post' more expensive. However 'fractionals' are also popular especially the Queens Beasts 1/4oz. This series has now finished, so we wait and see what's next. Having said all that, I have more sovereigns than Brits. The sovereign will always be a popular choice but is now the only gold coin from the RM minted in 22ct gold. Personally, I would like to see the a 'New Sovereign' minted in 999 gold in 1/4oz spec. perhaps as a one-off. I expect no one else on this forum to agree to that suggestion. Anyway, start with bullion, then maybe diversify into proof sets, special varieties, and then numismatic etc. Even 'Numistacker' has the collecting bug!

Good-luck.  

I think you are right a 24ct sovereign just wouldn't be a sovereign even sovereigns that aren't produced in someway by the rm just aren't. It's the whole kings and queens thing and a grand history they represent to the many collectors on the forum and in the wider world. I have many bullion sovereigns and a few proof but mainly for stacking purposes.

The way my stack is organised weight/purity it wouldn't be recognised as one either.

Archived