• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Info for new stackers,

Dave

Please take this as advice and opinion, it's worth what you are paying for it,

1,as much as your into stacking, keep in mind an exit strategy , do you sell for double your money? Or keep for x amount of years

2, what coins to stack, make sure you have a good base of bullion, try to stick to common coins , eagles, maples ,philharmonic , Britannia , try to keep away from generic coins , and personally i avoid bars, far too many fakes, and getting a bad reputation . Try to buy from dealers not ebay

3, pick a semi bullion coin to collect , and learn everything about it , ( early years, pre 2013 britannias, pandas, libertads , Ruwanda wildlife, lunars then go to ebay and use the completed search sold section to see if and how values have gone up from year to year, remember search the internet for info before you spend your money

4 beware colored coins , and the latest must have coin, very few hold their value after 1 year, and watch who is pushing the hype behind the latest coin, most of the time it's stackers that have got in early and bought up 10 or more coins, you will see these people offering you a chance to jump on the band wagon and willing to help you pay twice the cost , I have many first of the series coins that are now overpriced bullion.

5 if your looking at gold, try to stick to a core of sovereigns , easy to collect ,almost an oz of gold in 4 coins, can be cashed in worldwide , and you could carry £10.000 in your pocket !loose change if leaving the country, also look at low mintage fractional gold coins sold just above bullion on release, do your own homework on this, remember this is only opinion and my own mistakes over the years! and a good forum should always offer help and advice. Not have a small click of people jumping all over the newbies, like some other forums, with out the new people ,none of our stacks will gain any value , questions should always be answered , even the so called silly ones, and opinions should be respected and debated , even the GOING TO THE MOON ones

I agree, let's keep this a friendly and informative forum.

I for one, will be moderating any sarcastic or condescending responses to questions from new stackers - we were all there once, some more recent than others.

Stacker since 2013

Best advice I could give is decide what you are:

SHTF - just buy any silver at the lowest premium - silver is silver, we will need it after the end of the world as we know it, type person

Investor/insurance for the future and for my kids inheritence. Buy sensible coins, some bullion, some bars... that will acrue value and serve as a nest egg

Coin collector. I want one of every coin in this series, I buy what I love and collect sets and proofs etc, for the love of the collection.

Everyone will buy something different. Once you know who you are then Dave's advice will prove invaluable.

And I agree - there are no silly questions here. We all have to start somewhere. I am no expert, not in the slightest. I know nothing about nuministic coins. It is an area I would dearly love to learn more about. I don't have many proof coins for example. I don't see the attraction, I don't like high premiums!

:)

Best advice I could give is decide what you are:

SHTF - just buy any silver at the lowest premium - silver is silver, we will need it after the end of the world as we know it, type person

Investor/insurance for the future and for my kids inheritence. Buy sensible coins, some bullion, some bars... that will acrue value and serve as a nest egg

Coin collector. I want one of every coin in this series, I buy what I love and collect sets and proofs etc, for the love of the collection.

Everyone will buy something different. Once you know who you are then Dave's advice will prove invaluable.

And I agree - there are no silly questions here. We all have to start somewhere. I am no expert, not in the slightest. I know nothing about nuministic coins. It is an area I would dearly love to learn more about. I don't have many proof coins for example. I don't see the attraction, I don't like high premiums!

:)

you have to look hard and do your homework with proof coins, last year the Mexico mint released a gold proof set 1.9 oz ,1/10 to 1oz coins . This is an international mint, with collectors world wide, The mintage of this set , 250 pieces will it go up in value ?

you have to look hard and do your homework with proof coins, last year the Mexico mint released a gold proof set 1.9 oz ,1/10 to 1oz coins . This is an international mint, with collectors world wide, The mintage of this set , 250 pieces will it go up in value ?

Well, if you say it is an internatinall mint wth world wide collecters and a limited mintage I would expect it to go up.

I just baught a 2014 1Oz horse. Limited to 30,000 coins. It will also go up in value. By the same percentage, possibly not. But then it was a smaller outlay.

The lunar series is a good one to collect , values increase every year, please don't take any of my posts as condescending , I type the way I speak, and sometimes it comes across wrong, the proof coins are great to collect, but you have to be in at release, grab them when they are at a low premium over spot . And follow the values of previous years

The lunar series is a good one to collect , values increase every year, please don't take any of my posts as condescending , I type the way I speak, and sometimes it comes across wrong, the proof coins are great to collect, but you have to be in at release, grab them when they are at a low premium over spot . And follow the values of previous years

Yes, and this is where experience comes in - and that is why I love sites like this one so much. Where else do we get our experience unless we can chat about coins, performance and what is a good buy with those who have more experience?

I still think I would generally not go the extra on proofs though, Unless I can get them at low premium. At the moment it would be a gamble.

Having said that I do have a proof SBSS Warbird in a case, but with no COA - it was quite a good buy, price wise. I'm hoping it will perform despite not having the COA.

• Founder & Administrator

I regard myself as a bullion collector, I buy mostly what I like as long as the premium isn't too much. I would never buy coins or bars that I think are ugly even if they do have the lowest premiums. I am stacking and collecting from 2013 and only buying current years as the premiums are low and I can justify.

I like the Perth mint coins and want to get 1oz, 10oz and 1kg of the kookaburra, koala, and lunar coins all from 2013 onwards. Though I am missing a few already. Don't have a 1oz lunar horse or 1oz 2014 koala. The koala won't be hard to find but I think the price tag on the lunar horse will be too much. I am also missing a couple of kilo coins.

I also like the semi numismatic horse series coins from Perth mint, I have a few 1oz Stock Horse coins, and I think they have appreciated nicely in value, mintage is only 10,000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I regard myself as a bullion collector, I buy mostly what I like as long as the premium isn't too much. I would never buy coins or bars that I think are ugly even if they do have the lowest premiums. I am stacking and collecting from 2013 and only buying current years as the premiums are low and I can justify.

I like the Perth mint coins and want to get 1oz, 10oz and 1kg of the kookaburra, koala, and lunar coins all from 2013 onwards. Though I am missing a few already. Don't have a 1oz lunar horse or 1oz 2014 koala. The koala won't be hard to find but I think the price tag on the lunar horse will be too much. I am also missing a couple of kilo coins.

I also like the semi numismatic horse series coins from Perth mint, I have a few 1oz Stock Horse coins, and I think they have appreciated nicely in value, mintage is only 10,000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might be able to help you with some of these things. Are you not also interested in the 5 Oz coins? I don't have any 10 Oz coins, and it's probably too late for me to add them to my collection now before I leave sadly. I was never into them. I like to 2 Oz coins too.

Genereally if I am tempted to collect I get the 1/4 the 1/2 the 1 and the 2Oz. Somethimes the 5. I am usually less into gettingg sets though, more just looking to stack value as an insurance for the future.

Some great advice on here i'll add a few ;)

1. Never ever give out your home address or a friends address if buying from youtube/forums, trading from youtube/forums, or entering competitions on youtube/forums....It would be better to get yourself a PO box if you intend to do this! You really have no idea who you are dealing with, how ever friendly they are! As somebody has already mentioned on this forum, somebody got burgled and had their entire stack stolen probably by giving out their address to a complete stranger for the sake of 1oz of silver they won on youtube.....DON'T DO IT! Much better to be safe than sorry!

2. If buying from ebay be very careful and try to stick with sellers you know are good and have good feedback. Again use your PO box ;)

3. It's not a good idea to spend your entire savings on PM's (Though if you really want to...it's up to you)....just use a percentage you are happy with and a great way to build a stack is to use your disposable income, and don't spend money on precious metals that you really need for something else ;)

4. Most importantly enjoy your stack! :)

Might be able to help you with some of these things. Are you not also interested in the 5 Oz coins? I don't have any 10 Oz coins, and it's probably too late for me to add them to my collection now before I leave sadly. I was never into them. I like to 2 Oz coins too.

Genereally if I am tempted to collect I get the 1/4 the 1/2 the 1 and the 2Oz. Somethimes the 5. I am usually less into gettingg sets though, more just looking to stack value as an insurance for the future.

I don't want to start on the 5oz I know if I buy the just 1 Perth mint 5oz my stack will feel empty and I will want to buy the 5oz of every Perth Mint coin I have. Plus the premiums are a bit too much. 10oz the premiums are very similar to the 1kg coins.

So 10oz and 1kg are my sort of bullion plays, and semi numismatic, although technically they are unlimited mintages they still only mint them for those years and then stop, so then they get a final declared mintage, which may be quite low, lots of stackers over look this and just think that the 1oz coins are more numismatic which might not end up being the case. And I stack the 1oz for numismatic play as well, 1oz are the most popular coin size and the most liquid if selling 1 at a time.

You didn't manage to get me a 10oz 2014 koala? :( I am missing one.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Some great advice on here i'll add a few ;)

1. Never ever give out your home address or a friends address if buying from youtube/forums, trading from youtube/forums, or entering competitions on youtube/forums....It would be better to get yourself a PO box if you intend to do this! You really have no idea who you are dealing with, how ever friendly they are! As somebody has already mentioned on this forum, somebody got burgled and had their entire stack stolen probably by giving out their address to a complete stranger for the sake of 1oz of silver they won on youtube.....DON'T DO IT! Much better to be safe than sorry!

2. If buying from ebay be very careful and try to stick with sellers you know are good and have good feedback. Again use your PO box ;)

3. It's not a good idea to spend your entire savings on PM's (Though if you really want to...it's up to you)....just use a percentage you are happy with and a great way to build a stack is to use your disposable income, and don't spend money on precious metals that you really need for something else ;)

4. Most importantly enjoy your stack! :)

Great advice dog! By the way, how much does a PO box cost? I have never thought of this or looked into it. I know there is a Mail box company called Mail box etc, I looked them up once but they seemed expensive.

Discounts / Offers

Great advice dog! By the way, how much does a PO box cost? I have never thought of this or looked into it. I know there is a Mail box company called Mail box etc, I looked them up once but they seemed expensive.

I used to have one quite a few years ago when i was running my business from home and it was around £90 per year....but have just checked Royal mail and they have gone up loads! They are just under £250 per year now!!!  :o So forget i mentioned that!! Other companies do mail forwarding though...I think you can get an account for around £60 per year + forwarding expenses but you've have to shop around for the best deal ;)

Remember that a lot of eBay sellers, and online bullion dealers who take PayPal, will not ship to a P.O box , they are not covered by sellers PayPal protection . Unless package is signed for at your listed address

I don't want to start on the 5oz I know if I buy the just 1 Perth mint 5oz my stack will feel empty and I will want to buy the 5oz of every Perth Mint coin I have. Plus the premiums are a bit too much. 10oz the premiums are very similar to the 1kg coins.

So 10oz and 1kg are my sort of bullion plays, and semi numismatic, although technically they are unlimited mintages they still only mint them for those years and then stop, so then they get a final declared mintage, which may be quite low, lots of stackers over look this and just think that the 1oz coins are more numismatic which might not end up being the case. And I stack the 1oz for numismatic play as well, 1oz are the most popular coin size and the most liquid if selling 1 at a time.

You didn't manage to get me a 10oz 2014 koala? :( I am missing one.

You know there might be one of those in my bag somewhere... I'll put your name on it if you like! :)

You know there might be one of those in my bag somewhere... I'll put your name on it if you like! :)

I hope so :) that would be awesome, as I am missing a 2014 koala from my collection.

Discounts / Offers

Archived