• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold to Pyrite Ratio

RunningItRed

Hi 

I was wondering if anyone knows the ratio of GOLD to PYRITE in the rivers of North Wales in the Gold Belt? 

I have panned a fair bit of Gold but I am finding a lot of pyrite. I am an amateur and am having difficulty telling the two apart outside of colour and weight. So I am wondering if anyone who has experience of the area can tell me how much Pyrite I can expect to find in the gold I have. 

Also, is there a way to separate the two? 

Thanks 

Isn't the question how much gold you can find in the pyrite you find?

I was under the impression you can get small amounts of gold within the pyrite crystals. I wasn't aware you find amounts of pyrite within gold nuggets.

Interesting stuff though.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 30/03/2020 at 06:47, RunningItRed said:

Hi 

I was wondering if anyone knows the ratio of GOLD to PYRITE in the rivers of North Wales in the Gold Belt? 

I have panned a fair bit of Gold but I am finding a lot of pyrite. I am an amateur and am having difficulty telling the two apart outside of colour and weight. So I am wondering if anyone who has experience of the area can tell me how much Pyrite I can expect to find in the gold I have. 

Also, is there a way to separate the two? 

Thanks 

I'm not being a jerk, I'm just curious: why would you need any other ways of telling them apart?  Aren't those two ways sufficient? 

22 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Isn't the question how much gold you can find in the pyrite you find?

I was under the impression you can get small amounts of gold within the pyrite crystals. I wasn't aware you find amounts of pyrite within gold nuggets.

Interesting stuff though.

I don't expect to find Pyrite in the gold nuggets? 

Gold nuggets are gold nuggets. And Im aware that there is small amounts of gold in the Pyrite. 

I am in the highest gold producing river in the UK. I have a jam jar full of gold colour dust but know that some of its pure gold and some of its Pyrite. Im asking if there's someone who is familiar with the gold belt here and if they could give me a rough indication to how much Pyrite to Gold dust is in the river.  

3 hours ago, RacerCool said:

I'm not being a jerk, I'm just curious: why would you need any other ways of telling them apart?  Aren't those two ways sufficient? 

Hi 

Because I'm a total novice and its my first time panning. I don't even have a pan yet and have been using the dogs bowl until my pan and sluice are delivered. 

I have panned out roughly 5 ounces of fine dust in 3 days which is mostly a good gold colour but there's pyrite mixed into it and at the moment, using a metal bowl, and being a novice, I've held back from trying to pan it out to far at risk of losing gold. Most of the larger bits that are definitely Pyrite wash out before the dust moves as I would expect, but within the gold dust at the bottom of the pan are flaks which I know isn't gold. If my pan is delivered before I leave (I'm just panning in my mum's garden while in lockdown but must return to London for work, then I should be able to pan it out. But should it not arrive then I am looking for an alternative.

I could just go straight to the smelters but would like to improve myself.

As I say. Its my first time panning. I have half a jam jar full of gold colour dust and after my initial excitement subsided a little Im just trying to work out what I have. 

Thanks 

I've never panned so this is just guesswork but if it's in the form of dust, I would think it would pan out easily as the desities are so far part. Iron disulphide should dissolve in acid so that would be my first try, if it were me.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

20 hours ago, RunningItRed said:

Hi 

Because I'm a total novice and its my first time panning. I don't even have a pan yet and have been using the dogs bowl until my pan and sluice are delivered. 

I have panned out roughly 5 ounces of fine dust in 3 days which is mostly a good gold colour but there's pyrite mixed into it and at the moment, using a metal bowl, and being a novice, I've held back from trying to pan it out to far at risk of losing gold. Most of the larger bits that are definitely Pyrite wash out before the dust moves as I would expect, but within the gold dust at the bottom of the pan are flaks which I know isn't gold. If my pan is delivered before I leave (I'm just panning in my mum's garden while in lockdown but must return to London for work, then I should be able to pan it out. But should it not arrive then I am looking for an alternative.

I could just go straight to the smelters but would like to improve myself.

As I say. Its my first time panning. I have half a jam jar full of gold colour dust and after my initial excitement subsided a little Im just trying to work out what I have. 

Thanks 

Ok that makes sense. You're more experienced than I am since I've never panned for gold. Good luck! I hope most of that dust turns out to be gold!

I would recommend joining a dedicated gold panning group on facebook. 

When you are panning have a pan underneath, any gold you wash out accidentally will sink to the bottom so you shouldn’t lose any.

There are plenty of channels on youtube like Jeff Williams, Dan Herd, Vo gus prospecting, Pioneer Pauly.  Mrdazp1 has videos prospecting in Wales.  

Archived