• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Comparison of Assay Offices

caneocrafts

Howdy Silver Forum Folk!

We're new around here and wanted to get your thoughts as we embark on our silver pouring journey!

I've been researching the different assay offices, their process, traditions, setup & ongoing costs and wanted to get some thoughts from the community to perhaps fill in some of the blanks before I pull the trigger and register with one of the offices. Attached image is what I've been able to collate so far, as you can see I haven't received back the Birmingham price list yet, but wanted to make sure I haven't missed out anything important in my calculations of set up costs & on-going costs.

By far the cheapest Assay Office seems to be the Sheffield office, but I must be missing something right? Initially I was quite interested in the London Assay Office as they have lower setup costs, with the option of a laser only setup, but once you start adding up the cost of sending batches of work to assay, the Edinburgh office seems so much cheaper in the long run taking only 2.5 batches too make up for the higher initial setup cost.

Can any registered pourers weigh in and complete the picture?

Cheers!
- caneo crafts

Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 09.57.53.png

As with everything in life it is not always about the cheapest is the best (in my opinion anyway 🙂

Just as an FYI please don't forget VAT is added on to all your assay charges/registration etc. - so the costs about are EXCLUSIVE of VAT. 

I am registered with the Edinburgh Assay Office. I chose to register with them because when researching they had the following in their favour:

a) simple and clear pricing structures

b) had exceptionally good customer service reviews from small hobbyists that felt valued and appreciated.

c) point b was confirmed when I rang them the first time and was walked through everything. They are superb. 

d) One of their mantra's is that they can hallmark ANYTHING that is strange, weird, wacky etc. They always will come up with a solution. 

e) they have a castle as their makers mark that looks awesome!

All of the above could probably be said of the other assay offices I am sure. But from my perspective the EAO is awesome and well worth exploring. 

Last thing I will add is that they are so very good that even though I am just a tiny drop of their business they are willing to let me come to their office, have a backstage pass, see their operations, testing rooms/machines, laboratory, laser room (more on that in the next week by the way!) and even let me apply my own makers mark on a silver bar sitting at the master markers bench!

@jonrms is with Edinburgh Assay Office too

I know @OlliesSilverBars is registered with birmingham (If I am not mistaken) so might be able to help with info on them

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

As with everything in life it is not always about the cheapest is the best (in my opinion anyway 🙂

Just as an FYI please don't forget VAT is added on to all your assay charges/registration etc. - so the costs about are EXCLUSIVE of VAT. 

I am registered with the Edinburgh Assay Office. I chose to register with them because when researching they had the following in their favour:

a) simple and clear pricing structures

b) had exceptionally good customer service reviews from small hobbyists that felt valued and appreciated.

c) point b was confirmed when I rang them the first time and was walked through everything. They are superb. 

d) One of their mantra's is that they can hallmark ANYTHING that is strange, weird, wacky etc. They always will come up with a solution. 

e) they have a castle as their makers mark that looks awesome!

All of the above could probably be said of the other assay offices I am sure. But from my perspective the EAO is awesome and well worth exploring. 

Last thing I will add is that they are so very good that even though I am just a tiny drop of their business they are willing to let me come to their office, have a backstage pass, see their operations, testing rooms/machines, laboratory, laser room (more on that in the next week by the way!) and even let me apply my own makers mark on a silver bar sitting at the master markers bench!

@jonrms is with Edinburgh Assay Office too

I know @OlliesSilverBars is registered with birmingham (If I am not mistaken) so might be able to help with info on them

Thanks for the detailed response BYB, much appreciated.

Yes, I'd already wrapped up all the VAT costs in my calculations. And absolutely appreciate there's more to a service than it's price, which is why I came to the community, it's exactly the sort of insight I needed! Think I'll drop them a call like you say and get a feel for the offices.

Cheers! :)

Good topic 

I contacted the Dublin assay office for pricing.

All items regardless of size/weight €55/£47 for testing, stamping and certification.

Little steep in my opinion if you had a 1 ounce silver bar Lol 

Not so bad on a kilo bar if you bought your silver back in the 90s !!!!!!

Archived