• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How safe is ebay?

ProfessorStacker

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

I live in Japan, yuo cannot compare with the UK. If yuo want to eat exclusively here yuo are talking £2,000- £3000.

It's also perfectly possible to eat in a good Tokyo restaurant for a completely comparable price to the UK... even easier in somewhere like Sasebo!

On 07/06/2019 at 08:03, HighlandTiger said:

I've bought dozens of sovereigns on ebay over the years. I don't worry too much about fakes, if you're paying by paypal you are covered. I just make sure the seller has a good amount of feedback, and see if they are selling other coins/gold/antiques etc. If you find someone with low feedback who has only had a few "private" transactions on the feedback, these are usually fake paid for feedbacks and are to be avoided like the plague.  

HOWEVER.......with slabbed coins, you do have to be extra careful, because you cant take them out of the plastic to check the coin is genuine. This is the reason I wont go anywhere near any graded/slabbed coin. The Chinese are getting better and better every year with the fakes, and with slabbed coins its much easier to fake than a loose coin.

Good advice. This has been my experience as well. Look carefully at the pictures, and ask for them if they're not already posted. Due diligence goes a long way: if it's a common coin (sovereign, eagle, etc) look at the various discussions and pictures about known fakes, and see if that info applies to what you're wanting to buy. Etc.

Also, read the descriptions carefully.  If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Archived