• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1872 Sovereign and 1853 dollar

Fivepoundfred

A friend's mother owns the above coins and wants to sell them, they have asked me for valuation and where to sell but this type of coin is far from my speciality so could someone in the know please advise. I believe the Sov is a London mint long tail version, the condition of the obverse is excellent, there are a couple of small rim nicks. The dollar is in top condition with no obvious marks or damage. The photos are the best i can do with my camera. I know the price of these coins can vary so much with condition. Maybe have them graded ?

I will be grateful for any assistance.

P1010742.JPG

P1010749.JPG

P1010750.JPG

P1010755.JPG

P1010757.JPG

16 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

That dollar gets faked a lot, so grading isn’t a bad idea, as it could fetch couple hundred quid. 

Yes and I think most of them come back as "cleaned" as well.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

36 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Yes and I think most of them come back as "cleaned" as well.

Aye. Mines cleaned but still worth £100. 

Thisone looks like it has good lustre. If it had a “c” or a “d” mint mark then you talking in the £1000 mark value

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

21 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The sovereign is probably aEF the reverse being the better side.

value about £300 maybe

I would debate that value, if you look closely it has a ring mark, so ex jewellery. I would hazard £260-270 mark at the most. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

4 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I would debate that value, if you look closely it has a ring mark, so ex jewellery. I would hazard £260-270 mark at the most. 

The G&D version is a funny one, not common and can sell well at times.

I don't like to look too closely and try to make fine judgements about condition from these type of photos. I don't think it is certain about it being ex-jewellery; you sometimes see similar "rings" under the obverse legend simply due to wear and rubbing on the middle of the coin.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Hello Guys, had a look with my 5 x mag and can't see any mint marks on either coin, the sov has the standard B P. The milled edge on the sov looks good all the way around, there are a couple of marks on the rim in the 6 to 8 o'clock position on the reverse. The lady that owns the coin took it to a local shop and they offered her spot for the sov, not sure what they offered for the dollar, probably not a lot !

Archived