• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Good buy or a mistake

Guybrush

I purchases a 2017 proof quarter sovereign on ebay that was supposed to be an "unopened" proof.  After receiving the item there was dirt in the capsule but on further inspection there was some marks on the queens face (Very tiny and only noticeable with a loupe)

The dirt blew off so wasnt an issue.  As I wanted this for a collection I contacted the seller and after some back and forth it was offered to me for £80

It seemed cheap for what it was so after weighing and checking the size etc I accepted.  But I am wondering if with the marks although not noticeable without a loupe it was worth it.

I guess I got an interesting coin for less than expected so its not too bad!

What do you guys think, should I still have returned it rather than take it for £80 or was keeping it at that price the right thing to do.

back.png

queen.png

9 hours ago, danmc82 said:

Did it come boxed with certificate? If it did, I would have bought it for £80 easily.

Yeah came with royal mint packaging and the cert.  I was going to return the coin but then the seller basically said £80 and I basically thought for £80 I may as well keep it.  The marks are not visible to the naked eye.  All that said though I did want one of these coins in the condition it should have come from directly from royal mint but now I am thinking I have one and if one in better condition comes up for a good price I may get it, if not I have one anyway!

Just out of curiosity what does a royal mint capsule look like.  I dont have any other proof coins so I dont know if I would have spotted it had been opened before purchase.

5 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Yeah came with royal mint packaging and the cert.  I was going to return the coin but then the seller basically said £80 and I basically thought for £80 I may as well keep it.  The marks are not visible to the naked eye.  All that said though I did want one of these coins in the condition it should have come from directly from royal mint but now I am thinking I have one and if one in better condition comes up for a good price I may get it, if not I have one anyway!

Just out of curiosity what does a royal mint capsule look like.  I dont have any other proof coins so I dont know if I would have spotted it had been opened before purchase.

Should be a screw capsule. Heres my half...

20190201_190511.thumb.jpg.23a7ab93f53c3a596d18252cc0920fb9.jpg20190201_190528.thumb.jpg.90912095d9a1d1bd3ddef7b096619e63.jpg20190201_190545.thumb.jpg.fb39ed1e64d763fc8b40abadfaca90c9.jpg

Did it arrive all in parts?

Archived