• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

sovereign shade/colour?

volante5767

Hi Guys

Have Two Full Sovs, Edward and Victoria.

Both brought from high end dealers. Im a little confused with the colours/shade? The Edward is a kind of rose gold, bronze like colour and the Victoria is a more traditional gold colour, newer looking almost? im slightly confused as I thought as the Victoria is older, it should be the other way around?  I know theres condition to consider but they appear so different?  one has a mirror like finish and the other looks very dull, both Bullion grade?? 

20190128_161654 (2).jpg

20190128_161733.jpg

the vicky looked polished. 

If you notice - its border is a slightly different colour. Signs of it being in a ring and worn heavily. The eddie looks very lightly circulated so still may have some of its original lustre.
However the "8" in the 1908 looks suspect to me  it seems its slightly misaligned with the rest of the date or maybe its just the way you took the photo. But I am no expert.  

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I concur there's a good chance the Vicky was in a ring or other jewlery mount for a while. I wouldn't worry too much about minor color variations, the precise balance of metals used in sovereigns has changed over time and mints (the 22 karats of gold is the same but he precise balance of copper, silver etc in the remaining bit varies). If you're buying from reputable dealers and they check out in terms of dimensions and weight then it's probably just natural variance

5 hours ago, volante5767 said:

What's interesting Steve, i'm now curious?☺️  I will try to send more pics.

The outer reeding on the Victoria looks dodgy and the date of the Edward looks strange as well as looking like a Roman 1 in the date. It looks like a Perth mint 1908 and a Roman 1 date is unknown as far as I know.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

That's strange/worrying Steve?

The Edward was brought from Atkinsons and the Victoria was brought from an online group member who came highly recommended, who has excellent feedback, who also assured me it wasn't mounted for cleaned?

Also, I have gave both the magnet test, using the proper coin magnet, both passed with the magnet slipping off instantly, weight and measurements are correct too, i'm lost?

Ive just recently started collecting, and am starting to think this may have been a mistake? 

Don't worry, it could be just the photos. try to get some better ones. Have you weighed them accurately and measured the diameter? If it's from Atties the gold content should be good.

Can you see the shape of the one in the Edward date? Does it look like a capital letter I (roman 1 with a serif on each corner)?

This is what a Perth 1908 should look like

1078608868_perth1908date.thumb.jpg.145c5e6753ffeeeb73d5319cb20899ed.jpg

Thanks so much  for your time Steve as I don't want to give up, I just got started and love coin collecting. To be honest, and i'm hoping here, it may be my duff photo? I have another that I will post, I will re weigh and check the dia on Fri as to busy in the week. Having said that i'd really like to get to the bottom of this and appreciate your expertise and advice. Thank you.

Both coins look genuine to me. I’ve checked all my Ed7s from all the different mints, except the 1908C which is R6! Steve is quite right. It must be a trick of the light on the photos. Try using an eye glass to check there are only 3 points on the 1. I can’t imagine Atkinson’s overlooking a rare variety. Good luck anyway.

2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Both coins look genuine to me. I’ve checked all my Ed7s from all the different mints, except the 1908C which is R6! Steve is quite right. It must be a trick of the light on the photos. Try using an eye glass to check there are only 3 points on the 1. I can’t imagine Atkinson’s overlooking a rare variety. Good luck anyway.

Yes it all looks good except for the date. At first I thought the 9 looks strange too with the "bulb" on the end seeming to blend into the curve above it, but it appears similar in the photo I posted above, albeit to a lesser extent. This would perhaps suggest a trick of the light. In any case, if it was a genuine Roman1 error, it would be obvious with the naked eye.

The more I look at your photo the more it looks like a "1" over an inverted 1, with the serif at the bottom right less distinct than the other three. This type of overdate is a lot more common than a genuine Roman 1, but usually only seen in the early Victorian series, not Edward.

I am now intrigued!

Archived