• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another noob

Caput Lupinum

Danny-boy,

Out of interest why is Perth mint the best?

Because I like it the best, only my opinion.

The coins, by and large, are gorgeous. All come in capsules as standard, rarely milk spot, generally sensible mintages.

Need I say more.

Stacker since 2013

Because I like it the best, only my opinion.

The coins, by and large, are gorgeous. All come in capsules as standard, rarely milk spot, generally sensible mintages.

Need I say more.

I like them too but, I'm drawn to the American Eagle, Chinese Panda and Mexican Libertads at the moment.

I like them too but, I'm drawn to the American Eagle, Chinese Panda and Mexican Libertads at the moment.

I have some of each that you mention, and none light me on fire like the kooks or lunar S2.

Eagles are nice, but like the libertads they are the same every year. I only have a 2014 panda and I'm not liking it, but I understand it's not the most striking of years.

Stacker since 2013

I can see where you're coming from with the different designs year on year. I'll start looking at other coins when I've got more disposable.

It's a shame they decided to stop changing the britannia design, a bad and lazy move in my opinion.

I'll have to keep my date runs going though I guess.

There are so many coins out there, it's hard to decide what to buy!!!

Stacker since 2013

It depends on why you want to stack.

From a numismatic point of view (i.e. they have more value than mere spot price because of their collectibility factor) I'd go for Pandas, Kooks, Lunars, Brits.

If you just want to acquire silver bullion then go for rounds, American Silver Eagles, Maples and Libertads.

It depends on why you want to stack.

From a numismatic point of view (i.e. they have more value than mere spot price because of their collectibility factor) I'd go for Pandas, Kooks, Lunars, Brits.

If you just want to acquire silver bullion then go for rounds, American Silver Eagles, Maples and Libertads.

I'm probably in the latter at the moment but will most likely look at numis at some point.

• Founder & Administrator

Hi Wolf's head ;)

I am liking the name.

CL it all depends on your strategy. Do you want to:

1. Stack silver as cheap as possible, and buy for as close to spot as possible.

2. Buy numismatics that have rarity due to there low mintage as hope that they should gain a larger collectors premium

3. Buy semi numismatics so you get bullion silver but pay a slight premium, in the hope that they will gain some sort of a collectors opinion and the premiums will increase in the future.

4. Do all three

Or another option 5. Buy silver with huge mintages and large premiums (i.e. American silver eagle's etc) this might seem a silly strategy, but generally you should be able to get the premiums back when you sell to another stacker. And these types of coins are hugely popular.

My personal view is that buying silver as close to spot isn't a great strategy as it means you can only benefit from an increase in spot prices.

Numismatics are too expensive for me, as I want a good amount of silver.

My strategy is to buy mostly semi numismatic bullion, although I buy a few odd things here and there that I like the look of, after all, for me it's a collection as well as an investment.

Personally I wouldn't recommend buying large quantities of American silver eagle coins, to me I don't think they are worth the extra premium in the long run compared to semi numismatic bullion coins. (Although I do have a tube of ASE's)

My favoured coins to collect and stack are Perth Mints. Their 1oz kookaburra and 1oz lunar coins have limited mintages and generally see premiums increase after a while. The design changes each year and therefore has a strong collectors base.

You can also mix the strategies up, and add a little of each.

I buy:

1oz Perth Mint (kooks, lunar) for semi-numismatic play.

1oz Perth mint (koala). 10oz Perth Mint (koala, kook, lunar) for potential semi numismatic play. If the final mintage is low on these and they don't remint any in the future then they will gain some sort of collectors premium.

1kg Perth mint (for bullion play) premiums aren't that high and I feel that they should sell at a higher premium in the future compared to just a 1kg bar. Plus coins are cheaper to purchase in Europe because of tax reasons ;)

If your new and you don't understand some of the terminology that people are using, just ask, and any of the members will be happy to explain :)

Enjoy The Silver Forum :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived