• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Issues for 2019?

Zhorro

2 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

I agree - we are a bit lame at giving out release dates - My guess is that RM - like to see a "RUSH" once  announcement is made so that potentially ensures sellout!

Not at all, they follow a tradition for a new coinage or a new design or new weight

22 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Sovereign also available from @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer got mine yesterday (shhh Chards is cheaper than mint!)

IMG_1496.JPG

Now, don't get me wrong here, i like nice and shiny coins myself, but i see no point in buying an overpriced sovereign when the bullion would do just as nicely, but congrats on picking one up

1 minute ago, shortstack68 said:

Not at all, they follow a tradition for a new coinage or a new design or new weight

I guess you mean release info through the "Gazette"  and to be fair I kinda agree , since tradition is not a bad thing 👍

1 minute ago, 5huggy said:

I guess you mean release info through the "Gazette"  and to be fair I kinda agree , since tradition is not a bad thing 👍

Anything that is not standard to the coinage we have now has to be approved by the Queen and the privy council.

2 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Now, don't get me wrong here, i like nice and shiny coins myself, but i see no point in buying an overpriced sovereign when the bullion would do just as nicely, but congrats on picking one up

Again - generally I AGREE - but this particular one has some "Special" significance for me - - but a got a few bullion ones too! 😉

21 minutes ago, daz said:

Given up on the annual sets as they don't include all the coins issued that year so makes them pointless imo

I suppose it would make sense for the annual set to be issued at the end of the year and contain all the new coins rather than being issued at the start of the year!

1 minute ago, Zhorro said:

I suppose it would make sense for the annual set to be issued at the end of the year and contain all the new coins rather than being issued at the start of the year!

Yes - but the way they do it currently they can make more £ over the year - RM is a business after all!

1 hour ago, 5huggy said:

Yes - but the way they do it currently they can make more £ over the year - RM is a business after all!

Not necessarily , if they did a proof set with all the coins I would buy it every year as I'm sure a lot of others would they could still do their single coin sales and part sets as it is at the moment . 

It's adding another revenue stream which I'm sure would sell very well

1 hour ago, daz said:

Not necessarily , if they did a proof set with all the coins I would buy it every year as I'm sure a lot of others would they could still do their single coin sales and part sets as it is at the moment . 

It's adding another revenue stream which I'm sure would sell very well

Personally i wouldn't, they only drop in price, how many of these sets have actually made a profit against release price? Very few, by all means collect it if thats what you're into, but don't expect to make money if you want too sell down the line

As I said I don't buy the sets and agreed they don't generally make money , but if the sets included all the £2 and 50p proofs released  I'm sure you would see a lot more interest in them.  As even sold separately there is a lot of interest in those coins

So, who was expecting this? 

A “Strike Your Own” 50p from the Royal Mint with a “50 NEW PENCE” Britannia on the reverse and a 2019 Jody Clark Queen’s Head on the obverse.  The circulation “50 NEW PENCE” reverse was last used in 1981 on the large type 50p coins.

OK, this is not a PM issue, but it is a shame that the Royal Mint is not willing to provide a complete list of its issues - some of which are quite interesting!

image.png.9601ec4369ee5f73da3c09cba6d2cace.png

image.png

It is a silver Welsh Dragon “TWENTY POUNDS” dated 2019 which was available for the Royal Mint Experience.

I do not remember seeing advanced publicity for this.  Maybe the Royal Mint marketing team just expect collectors to stumble across new releases!

image.png.49c03e58716508db8aee4b5c8a647bbf.png

image.png.ad0c8cceef21cb36f6a378cfeaff8248.png

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

It is a silver Welsh Dragon “TWENTY POUNDS” dated 2019 which was available for the Royal Mint Experience.

I do not remember seeing advanced publicity for this.  Maybe the Royal Mint marketing team just expect collectors to stumble across new releases!

takemymoney.jpg

2 hours ago, Zhorro said:

image.png.49c03e58716508db8aee4b5c8a647bbf.png

image.png.ad0c8cceef21cb36f6a378cfeaff8248.png

They've been doing those since 2016, thanks for reminding me to go and pick some up. 

I'm guessing they don't advertise them extensively since you can only buy them from the mint if you go in person. It's a weird way to market a coin, but I have a bit of a soft spot for them because of it. 

• 1 month later...

So who was expecting this?

This 2019 silver penny is quite unusual for a couple of reasons:

The design has gone back to the portcullis with chains (rather than having part of the shield on the reverse as has been the case for the past decade), and

The date is on the reverse under the portcullis (rather than on the obverse).

It is part of the Royal Mint’s celebratory baby cards series and prices start at £15.

https://www.royalmint.com/gifts/coin-gifts/

2019silver1p.png

Archived