• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queens beast too popular?

RoughDog

16 minutes ago, FoolzGold said:

I didn't mention proofs because it's a bizarro world I can't get my head around. Prices based entirely on shininess, limited numbers and perceived demand, every coin immediately graded and sealed in a piece of plastic... I understand the semi-numismatic stuff - the appeal of a particular design or it's rarity - but the proof side of things is too much for my poor brain. Ooh this one's really, really shiny so we're going to create a whole new grade we're going to call ultra-mega-shiny+++, but only we can call something that so you're going to have to pay us to look at your coin and tell you how shiny it is. 🙄

From my understanding proofs are much more costly to produce because part of the finishing process is hand made.  They can't churn out 100s of thousands on a machine so I can see why they cost more.  Not something I'm interested in myself.  I am mainly interested in gold and silver BU.  I will pay a slightly higher premium for a nice design, or a series.

What I think is not appealing is the coins that have the same design year after year and people pay crazy money for a year that has a low mintage.

Or some old circulated tatty looking rare coin that is worth a fortune because of some historical time.

Everyone is different in some way and people like different things for different reasons.

6 hours ago, FoolzGold said:

I didn't mention proofs because it's a bizarro world I can't get my head around. Prices based entirely on shininess, limited numbers and perceived demand, every coin immediately graded and sealed in a piece of plastic... I understand the semi-numismatic stuff - the appeal of a particular design or it's rarity - but the proof side of things is too much for my poor brain. Ooh this one's really, really shiny so we're going to create a whole new grade we're going to call ultra-mega-shiny+++, but only we can call something that so you're going to have to pay us to look at your coin and tell you how shiny it is. 🙄

People like perfection and are willing to pay a premium for it.

Beat up, scratched ferrari or super shiny reflective ferrari.  Both do the same job but one looks nicer and costs a lot more.

Proofs just cost more to produce, blanks have to be flawless, dies polished to a higher finish and coins stuck multiple times to achieve the best possible finish.  Also a more careful handling after striking to ensure no scratches or imperfections.

6 hours ago, FoolzGold said:

It's lost on me too, so I can't say I understand what people see in it, only that I know they do, actually, see something in it.

Archived