• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queens beast too popular?

RoughDog

There's a theory that the Queens Beast coins may be too popular, meaning that everyone who wants one has at least one.  A lot of people seem to have many multiples.

What happens if the buyers are so few and lots of people are holding multiples?

Curious theory.  I'm too new to have seen a scenario similar to this.

Thoughts?

Supply and demand.  If the market acts without any manipulation, prices rise if it's 'too popular'... I'm not sure what that means - each coin is sold out?

Of course, the Royal Mint can mint as many as they want currently as they have not declared the mintage numbers yet.

8 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

They are beautiful coins but will probably be hard to shift later down the line and interest may waver towards the end of the series. 

Try selling lunar series 2 stuff now - it dosent exactly fly out the door. 

Interesting you say that.  Been keeping my eye on the trade section for lunars and not many lunars appear recently.

22 minutes ago, RoughDog said:

Interesting you say that.  Been keeping my eye on the trade section for lunars and not many lunars appear recently.

To be fair most of these are not lunar series 2, however these perth mint coins would have flown our the door a little while back when spot was the same if not a little lower..these are for sale in the sale section of forum and dont seem to be shifting, i suspect the same theory is true with these - anyone who wants one has one already.

2013 lunar snake lion privy - £18

2016 kookaburra - £16

2011 koala - £16

2015 koala - £15

Flavor of the month with silver seems to come and go fairly quickly, i expect cheapest rounds and bullion are due a turn again soon.

I don't like the privy coins especially at premium prices.  From what I see monitoring the trade section they don't sell too well.

I guess so with flavour of the month. 

Britannia's seem to sell well, especially the older ones with the different designs.  They seem to fetch quite a premium too.

2015 Koala 450,899 mintage.  That's high.

I have some scotch whisky bought for investment purposes (some of which I am sitting on a tidy profit).  The classic maxim among whisky investors is to buy 3:  1 to keep, 1 to swap and 1 to drink!

I can't drink, or even eat coins, so I adapt this and just buy 2 of each in silver given the high premiums over spot - 1 to keep, 1 to swap.

That's my TPW, and the 2oz QBs are beautiful, so I will always keep at least one

One day, I am going to crack open a bottle of £300 scotch that cost me significantly less than that, and drink it just because we can!

2 hours ago, mr-dead said:

all comes down to mintage numbers, people holding multiples is not really relevant.

1oz gold proofs only have a 400 mintage in nicely boxed form, thats not many to supply a global demand.

Completely agree, but interesting that the Black Bull is only 80% sold at RM after being available for 6 months and the Falcon is at 95& after just a few weeks.  Some are clearly more popular than others 

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Completely agree, but interesting that the Black Bull is only 80% sold at RM after being available for 6 months and the Falcon is at 95& after just a few weeks.  Some are clearly more popular than others 

I had no idea the Falcon was even out yet.

2 minutes ago, knighthawk said:

Thanks for the link.

I knew the proofs were out, I meant the bullion ones.

I love the design on it, hopefully there's enough left by the time the next group order is ready to go haha.

https://www.silver-to-go.com/en/silver-coins/queens-beasts/2-oz-queen-s-beasts-falcon-silver-coin-2019/

4 hours ago, Madstacks said:

They are beautiful coins but will probably be hard to shift later down the line and interest may waver towards the end of the series. 

Try selling lunar series 2 stuff now - it dosent exactly fly out the door. 

Recent Lunar releases have been monkeys, dogs and pigs not tigers or dragons and some designs have been a bit bland of late.

15 hours ago, Mike said:

I can't drink, or even eat coins, so I adapt this and just buy 2 of each in silver given the high premiums over spot - 1 to keep, 1 to swap.

Exactly what I'm doing. Completing the series for myself and another series to sell in the end.

10 hours ago, Dudley83 said:

I really hope the set does well. I am collecting the ones to date in silver (and gold eventually), and hope to hold it for a while (years after the last release in 2020)and hope to make something on it.... or at least get back the invested monies. 

Just my totally unsubstantiated opinion / feeling / pseudo-facts, but I think the QB's will do well over time.  They are beautiful coins, etc, but that isn't why I think they'll do well, I think they'll do well because of my experience watching bullion coins during the 90's in the United States.  During that time, when gold and silver prices were not doing that great, people just weren't buying, and the coins that were minted during that time are today more uncommon and valuable than bullion minted during the peaks in the 80's or more recently.

Check these numbers ...

http://goldeagleguide.com/mintages/

I mean in 2007 you had 140k gold eagles minted, in 2009 you had 1.4 million minted, a 10 fold increase.

Now in the year past, 2017, the numbers are back down to about 230k, about 1/6th what they were in 2009.

I have no idea what the Queens Beast numbers are, and strangely I can't find them online, but it would really surprise me if they were high at this point in time.  I just don't see how QB could be selling well when everything else is in the sh/tter.

On 26/09/2018 at 19:37, RoughDog said:

Queens beast too popular?

Absolutely, they're worthless now but I'll be happy to take yours off your hands. Just send them my way - silver, gold platinum. I'll even pay the postage. :)

Seriously though, the mintages have been posted elsewhere and after the first issue (Lion), which sold at significantly higher numbers, the subsequent bullion release sales have been as follows:

2oz silver: ~184,000 - 195,000

1oz gold: ~13,000 - 14,500

1/4oz gold: ~10,000

In terms of silver, those numbers are less than half the usual Kookaburra annual sales.

I have no idea how these will really do long term but they're beautiful designs and part of a limited series (unlike endless annual series like the Kooks).

Anyone who comes into these in the future, or who has started following them from 2017 onwards, will need to fill all the gaps if they want to put together a set and those are always going to be limited by the lowest selling years.

Personally I'm interested to find out how the bull has been selling because as arguably the least appealing design in the series so far it may also be the lowest selling, which could make it interesting in the future. The low premium on GSBe right now for the 1oz gold bull (3.7%) makes it pretty tempting.

Worst case scenario is that these coins end up being treated like any other bullion but if I'm only paying a 3.7% premium vs 3.5% for a Maple Leaf I'm not really gambling much by opting for the QB.

Maybe we should setup a cartel for the 1oz proof gold's - 200 of us each buy 2 and then we control the release to the market at premium prices to those collectors that need to make up their sets...😂

I didn't mention proofs because it's a bizarro world I can't get my head around. Prices based entirely on shininess, limited numbers and perceived demand, every coin immediately graded and sealed in a piece of plastic... I understand the semi-numismatic stuff - the appeal of a particular design or it's rarity - but the proof side of things is too much for my poor brain. Ooh this one's really, really shiny so we're going to create a whole new grade we're going to call ultra-mega-shiny+++, but only we can call something that so you're going to have to pay us to look at your coin and tell you how shiny it is. 🙄

Archived