• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A few weeks ago I put together a package to submit coins to NGC. I haven't received the coins back, but I have checked the status and see the coins have been finalized and graded. 

Below are two of the coins I sent in. One 2013 1/4 ounce silver Britannia and one 2014 1/4 ounce silver Britannia. What's unique about these coins other than their small size and limited mintage is that they are made with silver from a famous shipwreck, the SS Gairsoppa. There's edge lettering on the coins indicating this. I was hesitant to purchase these coins at first since they're in ANACS holders and I trust NGC and PCGS grades a bit more. However, I love the Britannia coins and these were so different and unique that I was drawn to them.

I would be curious what forum members think will happen grade wise to these coins. Thoughts on ANACS? These coins and how they'll grade? Or, what about these coins in general, something forum members like? 

Thanks!

IMG_20180404_112753815.jpg

32776597_10212006367014830_1147119188473544704_n.jpg

32776585_10212006367494842_6602170641615421440_n.jpg

32782633_10212006367254836_1296564667186937856_n.jpg

I like the Gairsoppa coins as well, pretty cool.

Newer ANACS grading (yellow holders like these) isn't bad, but tends to be a bit more liberal than older anacs and NGC/PCGS by many accounts I've heard.  Don't be surprised if they come back from NGC a grade or so lower (not that they always will).  NGC does sometimes give these the DPL designation though, which could be a nice bonus if they cross-grade well.  NGC and PCGS also usually command a higher resale premium than ANACS if you ever wanted to sell these, so that may be a consideration too.  All in all though, it's about the coin more than the holder, if you love the coin and think you would like it more in another slap, then that alone makes it worth it, whatever increases the happiness your collection or stack brings you.

And there's my two cents on it...

Only PCGS can truly crossgrade
Anacs need to be removed and graded

It’s not that Anacs is bad it’s just that its credibility generally is more suspect than PCGS or NGC.

When I have done conversions from anacs To NGC the results have always been one or two grades lower.

I've just had 30 coins come back to me from NGC. Quality was truly shocking. I think they're too busy and taking on too much compared to a year a go. 

I mean, quality control!!!!! I think it was someone's last day on the job and fancied a laugh. 

thumbnail_IMG_7186.thumb.jpg.837e39a5ac6473709908f21668ef1360.jpg

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

I've just had 30 coins come back to me from NGC. Quality was truly shocking. I think they're too busy and taking on too much compared to a year a go. 

I mean, quality control!!!!! I think it was someone's last day on the job and fancied a laugh. 

thumbnail_IMG_7186.thumb.jpg.837e39a5ac6473709908f21668ef1360.jpg

Wow haha well you will be able to to put on eBay now as rare miss/slabbed 2p £500 buy it now ?

2 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Only PCGS can truly crossgrade
Anacs need to be removed and graded

It’s not that Anacs is bad it’s just that its credibility generally is more suspect than PCGS or NGC.

When I have done conversions from anacs To NGC the results have always been one or two grades lower.

I submitted these as modern, NCS conservation included, with the signed form so they could be removed from their holders. I didn't mention cross grading, but I am curious as to what happens when an ANACS coin becomes an NGC coin. I've watched your videos on the subject - seems like a grade below is what should be expected.

I'll post results when I receive the coins in hand.

I submitted these as modern, NCS conservation included, with the signed form so they could be removed from their holders. I didn't mention cross grading, but I am curious as to what happens when an ANACS coin becomes an NGC coin. I've watched your videos on the subject - seems like a grade below is what should be expected.
I'll post results when I receive the coins in hand.

All anacs 70’s have come back 69

Archived