• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin identity help needed

shortstack

1 minute ago, shortstack said:

Ok guys your opinions please

My son bought me this as a gift today at the local boot sale

Seller was asking £35 but son paid £10

How did he do lol 

20171126_214541.jpg

20171126_214528.jpg

No idea of its worth .... but from £35 to £10 give the lad a pat on the back !

2 hours ago, shortstack said:

Thanks @Tpbullion

Are you aware of the silver content in this coin? 

Many thanks 

SS

All pre-1920 are Sterling Silver.

It's been cleaned by the looks of it but its worth melt at the very least.

Have you genuinely never seen a Silver Crown before, yet got into silver? (Genuine question! Not being arsey!)

2 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

All pre-1920 are Sterling Silver.

It's been cleaned by the looks of it but its worth melt at the very least.

Have you genuinely never seen a Silver Crown before, yet got into silver? (Genuine question! Not being arsey!)

Thanks @metallica73 I'm completely ignorant to pre  decimal currency unfortunately

I got into the silver as a pension pot/hobby now I'm aware of the pre 1920 silver i think I'll keep my eye out for old British currency as well as the 1oz stuff I have 

SS

1 minute ago, shortstack said:

Thanks @metallica73 I'm completely ignorant to pre  decimal currency unfortunately

I got into the silver as a pension pot/hobby now I'm aware of the pre 1920 silver i think I'll keep my eye out for old British currency as well as the 1oz stuff I have 

SS

No problem, I take it for granted that all stackers must know the numismatic side sometimes forgetting that I got into Numismatics through stacking in the first place!

Current melt value is about £10.80, but Crowns sell for a premium so £15-20 worth there I think.

4 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

No problem, I take it for granted that all stackers must know the numismatic side sometimes forgetting that I got into Numismatics through stacking in the first place!

Current melt value is about £10.80, but Crowns sell for a premium so £15-20 worth there I think.

I didn't take offence at all I admit my ignorance where valid 

I am a patriot and will be doing some research 

The value you quote is great I don't intend selling it as my son and I have been over some rocky ground recently and the fact he bought this for me knowing I'd just started stacking means it' s actually priceless and it's built some bridges after recent events 

(I did recompense him as he's between jobs right now but the thought is the massive thing here) 

SS 

7 hours ago, shortstack said:

Thanks @Tpbullion

Are you aware of the silver content in this coin? 

Many thanks 

SS

@shortstack like @metallica73 says the PM content of pre 1920 British coinage is .925 Sterling Silver. £10 is a good price also as I believe that a crown is around 28g so a decent weight of sterling. Equivalent to an Oz and not far off a TOz. However, being a coin of issued currency, it brings with it a large amount of collectors which automatically increases demand and drives the price. Probably worth about £20 in that condition. Worth noting aswell is that pre 1947 British coinage is .500 Silver. Just incase you come across any cheap. ??

7 hours ago, Tpbullion said:

@shortstack like @metallica73 says the PM content of pre 1920 British coinage is .925 Sterling Silver. £10 is a good price also as I believe that a crown is around 28g so a decent weight of sterling. Equivalent to an Oz and not far off a TOz. However, being a coin of issued currency, it brings with it a large amount of collectors which automatically increases demand and drives the price. Probably worth about £20 in that condition. Worth noting aswell is that pre 1947 British coinage is .500 Silver. Just incase you come across any cheap. ??

@Tpbullion thank you for this very helpful information  

I think I'll be doing some crown hunting in the near future 

Much obliged 

SS

Archived