• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Heroes of Silver: Britannia

silversword

Thanks mate. It's one of the old bullion guides and hasn't yet been revisited like the Maple, Noahs Ark or Canadian Wildlife guides. The mintage graph was a failed experiment in using Ninja Charts, a singularly useless bit of software. That gives me an excuse to get it updated.

Thanks mate. It's one of the old bullion guides and hasn't yet been revisited like the Maple, Noahs Ark or Canadian Wildlife guides. The mintage graph was a failed experiment in using Ninja Charts, a singularly useless bit of software. That gives me an excuse to get it updated.

No worries. Even Wikipedia has it wrong too, as have most other bullion sites.

The RM are pretty crap at posting mintages.

Stacker since 2013

• 3 weeks later...

I collected the full run and was one of the first people to receive the awful initial run of .999 2013 coins all badly scuffed and with dents and reeded indentations. I photographed them and argued with the Mint directly but their lips were sealed. They even denied quality problems.

All coins went back and after they sorted their quality issues I got replacements.

Sadly there are lots of crap coins out there.

Some eBay coin sellers were adding disclaimers so as to warn buyers of the poor quality.

Thankfully the Mint sorted out its problems but pure silver is softer than the .958 alloy so needs more care in handling / storage as brilliant finishes are prone to easy marking and scuffing unlike the matt finish on Eagles and Libertads. At least most of the Perth Mint coins and Chinese Pandas are shipped in protective capsules unlike the Brits.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: yippie finally some love for Britannias! In Singapore there are not many Britannia collectors (most stackers go for Perth Mint stuff).

I started stacking silver back in April 2013, and very quickly my interest switched from stacking bullion silver to collectibles (was driven by the bearish trend of silver spot). Britannias were the first series I dip my toes into, and eventually I manage to source and complete the whole series... paid quite handsome premiums for these.

Not sure what is the collectors demand for these proof Britannias in UK, but in Singapore local collectors do not bother collecting coins from Singapore Mint but local collectors are keen to collect numismatics from other countries. You may not fancy your Britannias but as a foreigner I do! 

I just received my 2014 proof Britannia few days back, and the 2014 now becomes my favorite Britannia design (especially the high relief 5oz version). 

1997 Proof Britannia

10329678266_2f61edbe3c_b.jpg

1998 Proof Britannia in coin set (for unknown reason people seem to bid high on singles but coin sets are cheap! Cannot do much about the toning though)

10329846945_e228e1f007_b.jpg

2001 Proof Britannia

9899091603_940c36bc45_b.jpg

2003 Proof Britannia 

9729917073_49f2524a27_b.jpg

2004 Proof Britannia

10461058373_96da9bc7d5_b.jpg

2005 Proof Britannia

10057873025_ae6fd4b5f8_b.jpg

2006 Proof Britannia

11855082886_ba9d5222a4_b.jpg

2007 Proof Britannia

10057833705_b04dae01d2_b.jpg

2008 Proof Britannia

10057917403_d6235ffdaa_b.jpg

2009 Proof Britannia

9624786756_2573d18a1d_b.jpg

2010 Proof Britannia

9621473419_9039859021_b.jpg

2011 Proof Britannia

9625560493_5e7144e980_b.jpg

2012 Proof Britannia

9621510697_8c84665c4c_b.jpg

2013 Proof Britannia

9624833766_196aa4d6cd_b.jpg

One big family of Lady Britannias... the 2013 looks out of place :P

11854654264_e20aec5ce0_b.jpg

Beauties1 I ordered my first Britannia (the 2014 5 oz silver proof) ~ 1 week ago via the British Royal Mint  and excited to receive her. There is another Thread on this forum relating to that new coin. ...and here is a link to 5 (FIVE)- coin silver proof  2014 sets  that are being sold through a US dealer (I have never dealt with, and have no affiliation with whatsoever) :

https://www.govmint.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=britannia

Cheers,

Luker

Personally I like the 1oz proof Britannia singles, they are consistent with the rest of my Britannia proof collection in terms of presentation and size. 

The coin sets used to be 4-coins set in the earlier years... then somehow it turns to 5-coin set last year and then this year Royal Mint introduced a microscopic coin... 1/40oz!  :blink:  :blink:

Well when I gain interest in Britannias it was made known to me that the bullion version will have the same standing Britannia design since 2013. That killed my interest in getting the bullion silver version as I prefer continuity of an ongoing series. That's just me :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived