• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof Sovereign sets vs Individual Proofs

Quick question for the great minds of the TSF.

I mostly collect / stack individual sovereigns and doubles and mostly bullion versions thereof.

I do have, in the collection, 2 sets from 2021; 5 coin set £5 to quarter and the 4 coin set £2 to quarter

They don't really fit with what I want to retain but would be happy to keep some of the individual coins.

Is there currently much of a premium for the boxed sets over the price of the individual proof coins?

Tempted to sell as they are and re-invest but also like the option of retaining the coins I want and selling the rest as individual proofs.

Clearly they wouldn't have a box or COA for the individual coins in that case but if there is no premium for the set than no big deal.

Interested in the thoughts of others.

TIA

Tbh you'd likely receive more as a boxed set with coa. 

Loose sovereigns are barely achieving much above spot currently, maybe 2% at a push.

Considering 2021 has the 95 privy, it might be worthwhile grading if in good condition, that's how you'll achieve maximum returns ( assuming 70s ) of course. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I have to agree with @James32, your best to offload as an entire set!

Although with the current market prices you may achieve a better yield with graded coins (70’s of course).. all depends how much your purchase cost vs how much the current price dictates.

Goodluck with your future sales sir 

Thanks for the replies. They owe me less than the current spot price so no issues there!

Was leaning towards selling as a set. Will get them out of storage and see how they look. From previous inspections they looked very clean.

Haven't sent anything to be graded but that might be an option.

Depends on the premium for a graded coin vs a standard proof!

8 hours ago, cjbcomm said:

Thanks for the replies. They owe me less than the current spot price so no issues there!

Was leaning towards selling as a set. Will get them out of storage and see how they look. From previous inspections they looked very clean.

Haven't sent anything to be graded but that might be an option.

Depends on the premium for a graded coin vs a standard proof!

As an example, someone recently had a 2021 £5 PF70 up at £2700..so you can work backwards from that on the smaller sizes.

1 hour ago, James32 said:

As an example, someone recently had a 2021 £5 PF70 up at £2700..so you can work backwards from that on the smaller sizes.

Thanks James.

Worth looking into. WIll get them out of storage and see if they are grade worthy then go from there

1 minute ago, cjbcomm said:

Thanks James.

Worth looking into. WIll get them out of storage and see if they are grade worthy then go from there

If planning to go down the graded route, might be worthwhile reaching out to @GoldDiggerDave as he does it for you as a one stop shop.

1 minute ago, James32 said:

If planning to go down the graded route, might be worthwhile reaching out to @GoldDiggerDave as he does it for you as a one stop shop.

Was just looking up his details... will do for sure as grading all new to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Chards have a set in the box for £4795 then then a graded set at £4985 so hardly worth the extra cost of grading. Looks like premiums coming down as spot price increases