• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Marble as base material?

Hi,

I'm new here and hoping someone can help. I'm attempting to clean up a couple of pieces and I don't know their history. The silver plating has come away in one place and it looks like marble underneath. Base stand is metal and appears to be glued to the marble. They're heavy - 115g each and 9cm tall. Base stamped EPS.A1 and the logo PRP in a circle. I've never heard of marble as a base material for plating. Can anyone help with either restoring the silver plating or the origin of these? Any comments on the marble - was this a common practice? If not marble what is it? Not attracted to magnets at any point and the marble part is very hard and pitted.

Cheers,

Snappy

IMG_20240323_202128492~2.jpg

IMG_20240325_221520973_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240323_132234444~2.jpg

Edited by macsnap
Trying to reduce reasons for moderation

• Founder & Administrator

Should really be in the non PM section, but as you do not currently have Premium Membership and it is somewhat related to silver I will approve this post so others can reply to your question :) please do consider upgrading your membership though as it provides many benefits for members and also supports TFS too: https://www.thesilverforum.com/store/category/2-premium-membership/

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Could it be some sort of cement based product? Similar to concrete. Mixed, Poured in to moulds. Then once cured the silver is placed over the top. Try a small drill hole with a masonry bit but without the hammer action on. Look at the drilling dust. Might give you a better idea. Difficult to tell from just the pictures.