• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Digital scales Recommendations?

Hi everyone,

I did a TSF search for 'scales', 'weighing scales' and 'digital scales' - all to no avail - which surprised me as I'm sure this topic must have been discussed in the past. I bought some digital scales for the kitchen back along - but they're hopeless for weighing coins: accurate to + or - 20 grams!!! So, I wondered if anyone can recommend some? There's any number available and prices seem to range from as little as £6.00 to >£150.0. All I'm after is something basic, no bells and whistles required, but accurate (otherwise what's the point!) - hopefully for under £50!

Thanks in advance!

👍

@timsk

Any small scale with a capacity of 200g and graduation of 0.01g should be OK

Use a 200 graduation weight to check occasionally. 

Don’t panic if you see variations in weight!  Mint state sovereigns should all be 7.98 at least. Some can be higher at 8.00 However, circulated sovereigns showing some wear will invariably weigh less, eg a shield sovereign Photo 3 shows one at 7.93 which is about the minimum weight when in the  old days would be melted down, but of course it still has numismatic value.

One Troy ounce at 31.1035 is usually exceeded in weight by the mints to allow for a minimum of 1oz t in gold. A 22ct Britannia for example is over 34grams.  Even most 9999 gold bullion 1oz coins are very slightly overweight. 

I weigh every coin in my collection and keep a record. It can be fun as well as reassuring.

4 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

. . . I weigh every coin in my collection and keep a record. It can be fun as well as reassuring.

Thanks Brit'.

I get the impression that Tanita are the Rolls Royce of digital scales! 

I've found that a 100gr +/-0.001gr is the best starter scale. You can get cheap ones on fleabay, along with a calibration weight.

50gr scales cost the same and can't deal with 2Oz coins, without being any more accurate.

Next step I'd go for a 1000gr +/- 0.1gr, again cheap from fleabay and can handle a full Silver Brit tube

@Spyder from this forum sells coin gauges, bloody useful I'd think for extra dimension checks

Edited by JohnA1

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

Thanks everyone for your posts!

👍

I've a birthday coming up and my Mrs. timsk is asking me what I want for a pressie and so, after much searching and keeping your respective suggestions in mind, I've asked for these with the option of the calibration weights to match:

𝑨𝑪𝑪𝑻 Precision Pocket Scale, 200gx0.01g jewelry gram scale, digital food scale with LCD display, one-click conversion 6 units, mini scale for kitchen/powder/herb/coins (Battery included)

ACCT Calibration Weight, 1g 2g 5g 10g 20g 50g 100g Calibration Gram Scale Weight Set for Digital Scale Balance, Small Weights for Crafts,1 Piece Calibration Weight Tweezers (Silver)

This is where I get a flood of posts saying: 'don't get those you numpty - they're useless!'

🤣

these 200gr scales only have accuracy to 0.01gr.

I got similarly priced 100gr with 0.001gr.  With anything gold accuracy helps.  The extra 100gr weighing capacity won't help much in real life IMO

Edited by JohnA1

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

2 minutes ago, JohnA1 said:

these 200gr scales only have accuracy to 0.01gr.

I got similarly priced 100gr with 0.001gr.  With anything gold accuracy helps.  The extra 100gr weighing capacity won't help much in real life IMO

I hear you John - can you provide details of what you recommend please. Better still - a link? Cheers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195321634315?var=495086266343

This is one example, there are several similar, all Chinese el-cheapos, but they do the job if you're careful.