• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Price of different Britannias?

SaturnV

Hello, I hope you are all well.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something I am a bit confused about, I am thinking maybe, of changing my small collection from half and full sovereigns to 1oz Britannias, but I am confused when I look at the prices for them to buy and sell them at Hatton's and Atkinsons. Why does the new Charles coin demand a higher selling price than the best value post 2013 Britannia's there is about a £50 difference, also the best value Britannias are been bought by them for under spot, they both have the same gold content though, I find this confusing, does it mean that in time the new Charles coins in say 10 years will also trade at this lower that spot price, at the moment they seem to track the exact spot price to sell them with Hatton's and Atkinsons. 

It would be good for me to understand this because I am trying to work out the best buy v sell price on sovereigns v Britannias, dose anyone have any thoughts on any of this and which one will hold the best value between buying and potentially selling down the line.

Thanks so much, all the very best to you all.

I would guess that the dealers are charging a bit more for Charlie’s due to supply and demand. 1) it’s the first one ounce Brit with his face on and 2) it’s the latest release. Demand of which is usually higher. It’s also deemed to have more ‘safety features’ then perhaps the 2013 Brit.

whether that higher premium is justified is up to the individual buyer to deciede, but in my view, with they numbers they produce, I doubt any standard bullion Brits would hold much difference in value over each other in long term.

49 minutes ago, SaturnV said:

I am trying to work out the best buy v sell price on sovereigns v Britannias, dose anyone have any thoughts on any of this and which one will hold the best value

It’s not possible to know where premiums will go for different types of coins in the future. I just buy whatever I am trying to buy closest to spot. And if there is a higher premium I ask whether that is actually a premium that may hold or just a seller setting their price - which is not necessarily the same as the market price.

53 minutes ago, SaturnV said:

does it mean that in time the new Charles coins in say 10 years will also trade at this lower that spot price

I think you are talking about gold companies/dealers, which you don’t have to sell to. For example, on here today and yesterday- 14 gold Brits have gone for 1-2% over spot.

Keep the sov/ half sov,  factional coins will sell easier than full oz. 

Best value means (usually) random year coins and the lowest premium over spot (you get a buyback/ preowned still in good condition, sometimes even brand new coins that the dealer receive in very large number).

The difference between the buy price for the dealer - 95-99% of spot(sell price for you) and the sell price for the dealer - 101-110%  (buy price for you) is the cost of doing business (margin) that goes into paying tax, salarys, utilities, etc.

2023 is the 1st year with the effigy of Charles III, in principle this means that the coins will keep their premiums, however been minted in too millions doesn't help.

Edited by daca

Supply and demand. At one LCS near me, the 2022 QEII are the cheapest and then the 2023 KCIII are in the middle with the 2023 QEII the most expensive. I suppose the last year with the Queen is more in demand than either older coins with the Queen or the new coin with the King.