• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

RM dispatch times, and production 'batches'

I contacted the Royal Mint today via their live chat feature on the website. 

I asked why I hadn't recieved my 2oz coronation silver proof coin? When I've seen many other customers posting photos of the coin in hand 3-4 weeks ago, and auctions clearly with the coin in hand. 

The response I got was 'they are minted in batches, you should recieve your coin in around 3 weeks'

They also said that due to 'high demand for the coin, it has taken some time to fulfill the orders' 

I pointed out that the coin was a limited release of 1000 coins. So I don't see how a production run needs to last 2 months, and demand obviously makes no difference. 

The response I got was that the dies need to be recut and replaced!

I've honestly had enough with the RM. 

I don't understand why they can't just produce the coins before they take our money? Certainly for limited run coins. 

They've managed to get these sov new sets out. But they don't seem to be doing anything in a logical order. And it makes me feel 2nd class, if some clients are getting the same coin 7 weeks before they decide to send mine. 

From what I've seen and heard second/third hand from RM, the blanks for some coins are tough to get hold of at the moment, and for proof the condition is obviously very important. They don't make their own blanks, so they likely order say 5,000 proof silver 2oz blanks ready for a release like the coronation etc then find there's not enough when they arrive as some are rejected, or there's spoilage during production etc.

I agree that they should only release products when they're made, or very near completion. Unfortunately Royal Mint are an authorised monopoly and you have no alternative for official UK coins, so there's not much choice and their current leadership will likely continue on this path.

5 minutes ago, StackemHigh said:

I've also heard that a major delay in delivery can be the printing of COA's, presentation cases and packaging. The coins can be waiting in caps ready to go but the printers haven't been given the goahead to start the print run.

100%, boxes were an issue for some of the Memorial coins IIRC. I believe a few members of the forum here commented on lower quality boxes received for some of that range.

Best hope for now is that the release schedule settles back down once the remainder of the coronation stuff is done with, and the capacity rebounds a bit.

Yeah, I think the boxes might be the issue?

I had it with the 3 coin memorial set, it took ages to come, and in a totally different, and lesser quality box than was shown in their sales photos. I mean, at this point you're sortta paying for the box too, so I dunno why we all just let these things slide?

We all know the crack with the Royal Mint, you just pay them the money, close your eyes and cross your fingers! 

Sometimes they amaze you, like the SOTD sov, and the latest proof sovs being sent out on the week of release. 

But the reason for my post and the thing that's really irked me, is some customers and delears receiving coins long before other RM clients. I'm not sure in what order they allocate? But when you've bought at 9.15am on release date, off the Royal Mint website, you don't expect to be getting coins 7 or 8 weeks after others have had in hand. 

20 hours ago, Minted said:

Thanks for posting this.  I questioned this process a couple of weeks back but didn't get a response.  Still waiting on a 1oz silver Coronation coin myself.

I've had a dispatch email for my 1oz this morning.  Should arrive by the end of the week. 🙂

Edited by Minted

On 20/06/2023 at 14:11, MBTPSilver said:

100%, boxes were an issue for some of the Memorial coins IIRC. I believe a few members of the forum here commented on lower quality boxes received for some of that range.

Best hope for now is that the release schedule settles back down once the remainder of the coronation stuff is done with, and the capacity rebounds a bit.

Unfortunately this is an ongoing problem at the rm that has been happening at the mint for quite a few years now I personally noticed this as a problem way back in 2010/11 with the poor quality  william and kate engagement white presentation cases and the capital cities four coin presentation cases. 

The poor quality we see from the rm most likely due to harsh cost cutting measures.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else still waiting for the 2oz silver proof coronation coin? 

I ordered on the day of release, 25th April, it was limited to 1000 coins. 

Other folks have had these coins in hand for over two months now. But the RM keep fobbing me off. 

Still showing as 'in progress, dispatching soon' 

But yet the RM are happy pumping out new Star Wars coins, and the dreadful Police proofs. 

When they don't appear to have even finished minting all the coronation coins?