• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1914, 5 mark .9 silver, 27,78g, 38,13mm dia coin.

My Grandfather brought this German coin back from France in 2016. The mintage info says this coin stopped being minted in 1908.

It clearly says 1914 on the coin as you can see.

Anybody know anything about it, is it worth anything?

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

Edited by silvergaga
error in date

On 12/05/2023 at 11:56, silvergaga said:

My Grandfather brought this German coin back from France in 2016. The mintage info says this coin stopped being minted in 1908.

It clearly says 1914 on the coin as you can see.

Anybody know anything about it, is it worth anything?

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

The mintage of this coin was 1,587,000 in 1914 according Numista:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4714.html.

The coin have a good story, was minted in the first year of WW1, Prussia lost, lots of coins were spreading all over the Europe being lost in cemeteries or battlefields and never returned in Germany. Probably not too many in existence. But the price is very subjective. On forum will not sell for £25, on Ebay I would try £40, but not sure you will have customers. On MaShops are prices starting from 40 euros and still unsold.

On 14/05/2023 at 09:30, silvergaga said:

Thank you very much for finding all of this information for me, I will treasure the coin and try to find someone in the family who might treasure it too. 

I love to imagine stories or fairy tales behind a coin. Any old coin has a story, seen people, travelled a lot in a long life. Was used, exchanged thousands of times for essentials, food, drinks, guilty pleasures, lost or stolen several times, been in a silver purse or in dirty pockets, seen happiness and sadness. Your coin seen the horrors of the first and second world wars. Was used by a german soldier in France, spent for wine or recovered from a dead body from battlefield, changed the owner several times and had a long rest sleeping in a drawer until your grandfather bought it for you and brought it in UK.

A shiny silver ounce fresh from tube has not tales to tell. This is the reason I do prefer circulated silver coins, pure history in my hands.🙂

Edited by stefffana