• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1998 and 1999 Sovereigns

Have I got this right?

Just checking some mintage numbers and the above and it says 10,000 each year (plus a few for sets) and that they were all proof.

Whereas 1979 is 9 million+.

Quite a difference there🤣

A coin is not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

Amor Vincit Omnia.

28 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

Have I got this right?

Just checking some mintage numbers and the above and it says 10,000 each year (plus a few for sets) and that they were all proof.

Whereas 1979 is 9 million+.

Quite a difference there🤣

IMG_1295.jpeg

7 hours ago, Skybadger said:

Someone got a 1999 for £390 on Ebay 3 days ago 👀

I hope that this was you!!!!

Amor Vincit Omnia.

7 hours ago, Spyder said:

1998 are 10000 + 1349 in sets

1999 are 10000 + 1903 in sets 

From 1983 to 1999 only proof sovereigns were minted.

I had no idea😁.

I assumed that there was some kind of parity each year, but obviously not.

I wonder where all the1979’s are, more interesting is why were so many minted?

Maybe they wanted to ‘pave the streets with gold’ 💫

Amor Vincit Omnia.

9 hours ago, evende said:

IMG_1295.jpeg

This is interesting, my Marsh book shows 10,000 for 1999, (2021 revised edition). 

Amor Vincit Omnia.

On 06/05/2023 at 08:31, Aldebaran said:

This is interesting, my Marsh book shows 10,000 for 1999, (2021 revised edition). 

Mines the previous edition so must have been updated - apologies!

Edited by evende

3 hours ago, evende said:

Mines the previous edition so must have been updated - apologies!

No apologies necessary - I probably managed to quote the only mistake in the entire book😁

Amor Vincit Omnia.

On 06/05/2023 at 08:08, Aldebaran said:

I wonder where all the1979’s are, more interesting is why were so many minted?

Interesting question indeed!  What happened to 9.1 million sovereigns in 1979? It’s a mystery why there was such a spike in the minted numbers. 

Perhaps a one off demand from the U.S. to pay off the loan of Liberty ships to the U.K. during WW2 or similar?

Either way there are only 9,099,999 left, because Iv’e got one!👌😀…..

IMG_4493.jpeg

5 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Interesting question indeed!  What happened to 9.1 million sovereigns in 1979? It’s a mystery why there was such a spike in the minted numbers. 

Perhaps a one off demand from the U.S. to pay off the loan of Liberty ships to the U.K. during WW2 or similar?

IMG_4493.jpeg

Haha, I was going to say ‘you can knock another off the tally’, but ours is a proof  one (without it’s papers) and there were 50,000 of those!!!
How weird, maybe someone in the know knows😂

Amor Vincit Omnia.

IMG_4493.jpeg

Maybe it was something to do with the oil crisis in 1979.

Dad was flight crew for BOAC then British Airways and he used to speak about having to take gold to actually pay for the fuel in the Middle East, maybe it was sovs? 😎

Amor Vincit Omnia.

IMG_4493.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

Maybe it was something to do with the oil crisis in 1979.

Dad was flight crew for BOAC then British Airways and he used to speak about having to take gold to actually pay for the fuel in the Middle East, maybe it was sovs? 😎

Another possibility is that the Exchange Control Act was repealed in 1979, meaning UK individual could legally own gold again. Britannias weren't introduced until 1987.

Sovereigns were indeed very popular in the Middle East. There are stories everywhere about British operations there being supported with those. Also the Arabs preferred male monarchs on the coins, i.e. Edward VII and George V, and you see a lot of hallmarked Arabic impression of George V sovereigns in the gold shops there.

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Another possibility is that the Exchange Control Act was repealed in 1979, meaning UK individual could legally own gold again. Britannias weren't introduced until 1987.

Yes, that sounds plausible. Margaret Thatcher was elected Prime Minister in 1979 as well, so perhaps 9.1 million sovereigns were minted in anticipation of increased demand, with relaxation of ownership. The previous Labour government hated private ownership of gold. Just wait until Kier Starmer gets in and puts VAT on gold!! and the Chancellor sells off the remainder of our gold reserves🙁

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

Yes, that sounds plausible. Margaret Thatcher was elected Prime Minister in 1979 as well, so perhaps 9.1 million sovereigns were minted in anticipation of increased demand, with relaxation of ownership. The previous Labour government hated private ownership of gold. Just wait until Kier Starmer gets in and puts VAT on gold!! and the Chancellor sells off the remainder of our gold reserves🙁

Doesn't seem to be the right place to talk politics here, but it seems that, although the Tories screw up from time to time, most Labour mistakes have long lasting effects. Constitutional fiddling like devolvement and House of Lords Act, and Brown's dip. Don't forget Brown's raising top income tax rate to 50%, and 13 years on the Conservatives haven't been able to cut it back to 40%. People hate it when the richer section of the society get a tax cut, and it echoes that they'd rather the poor were poorer than the rich were richer. 

On the subject of Blair... He did win a landslide (one of the very few Labour PM to win a majority) and was later elbowed by Brown, and now he's hated in retrospect. His economic policies were basically Tory, but his constitutional vandalism did uphold the Labour tradition.

Edited by Guest