• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying/valuing advice needed - gold rings

bobski

3 minutes ago, bobski said:

He can speak good English, he just doesn't understand the word hallmark when in a Facebook message when my sleeping tablets have kicked in and not got time to fully explain in and really trying to get some sleep. I thought this forum might be a good place to ask advice, so he doesn't get ripped off. Happy to remove this thread and send him to a pawn shop if I'm not allowed to use TSF for such a question

But yes, it does sound like a really poor guy Ritchie movie

1 minute ago, bobski said:

90% of 9ct, 18ct? (If I'm allowed to ask such questions?)

You are allowed to ask any questions, my friend!

This is the main purpose of this forum.🤗

Just now, watchesandwhisky said:

The 18ct ring id pay 100% of spot and try and sell for a bit more , the rest probably offer 90% and sell for 95% 

But yes % of purity adjusted.

Without a hallmark, how would I know the purity of the other rings? 

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

2 minutes ago, watchesandwhisky said:

Easiest way would be to take to a pawn shop yourself and see if they will test them for you.

Nothing close to me unfortunately. Interested to know what test they would perform though. I suppose I could google all of this, but much prefer to put my TSF subscription to good use and ask knowledgeable people

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

12 minutes ago, bobski said:

He can speak good English, he just doesn't understand the word hallmark when in a Facebook message when my sleeping tablets have kicked in and not got time to fully explain in and really trying to get some sleep. I thought this forum might be a good place to ask advice, so he doesn't get ripped off. Happy to remove this thread and send him to a pawn shop if I'm not allowed to use TSF for such a question

But yes, it does sound like a really poor guy Ritchie movie

Well good luck It sounds like there's people interested on here who can help you so it may work out ok although if someone asked me to sell a bunch of gold I'd probably just gurn at them until they stopped. 😅

Depends where you go, a jeweller may have a XRF gun to test the purity (high tech expensive kit) but many wont be too forthcoming to use said kit, a pawn shop is more likely to do a acid test, essentially they scratch the band over a stone (it does not really mark the rings much, then use different strength acids to work out its purity. Just remember though these places are not in the habit of giving out a free metal analysis. 

To be honest I would probably just send anything that isnt uk hallmarked strait to https://lois-bullion.com/ , let them test and buy it, there prices are very fair.

If your mate is Portuguese and the other rings came from there, you might find that they are 18 or 19ct gold. At the moment I am not in London. If I was you could have posted and the place I go to has an xrf gold tester and would quickly find out their value.  You can not value gold if you know not what carat it is. The garnet ring is worth scrap weight, the diamonds are not worth talking about as they are so small. 

Like it has been said, on this forum no one wants to pay more then scrap weight regardless if it is usable or not. 

Today my London dealer is paying £36.55 for 18ct and and half again for 9ct per gram.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

4 minutes ago, watchesandwhisky said:

Depends where you go, a jeweller may have a XRF gun to test the purity (high tech expensive kit) but many wont be too forthcoming to use said kit, a pawn shop is more likely to do a acid test, essentially they scratch the band over a stone (it does not really mark the rings much, then use different strength acids to work out its purity. Just remember though these places are not in the habit of giving out a free metal analysis. 

To be honest I would probably just send anything that isnt uk hallmarked strait to https://lois-bullion.com/ , let them test and buy it, there prices are very fair.

If you are in Birmingham then Lois are the best I have found in that area.

4 minutes ago, Spyder said:

If your mate is Portuguese and the other rings came from there, you might find that they are 18 or 19ct gold. At the moment I am not in London. If I was you could have posted and the place I go to has an xrf gold tester and would quickly find out their value.  You can not value gold if you know not what carat it is. The garnet ring is worth scrap weight, the diamonds are not worth talking about as they are so small. 

Like it has been said, on this forum no one wants to pay more then scrap weight regardless if it is usable or not. 

Today my London dealer is paying £36.55 for 18ct and and half again for 9ct per gram.

I assumed I would be looking at scrap price anyway to be honest mate. Great info as always. I'm learning a lot

I'm not sure how long his parents have been in the country. I've personally known him for over 20 years, but never met his parents.

I'm based next to RAF Brize Norton, In Oxfordshire.

I have found most southern Europeans would buy their gold in their home countries either before they came over or when they went back to visit family. Without having hallmarks and testing you never know.  

2 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I have found most southern Europeans would buy their gold in their home countries either before they came over or when they went back to visit family. Without having hallmarks and testing you never know.  

Unless they were loaded and been here for 25 years of course, But yes I get what you're saying