• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Glove recommendations

Does anyone have a recommendation for gloves for handling gold and silver? So many to choose from on amazon and I don't know what I should be looking for. I have a couple of spotless sovereigns and some nice silver coins too and don't want to ruin them with my grubby fingerprints

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

Just never ever touch the surface. In case you did acetone is a good solvent to remove oily stuff. Fabric gloves, in theory, are soft, but they trap little bits of dust in the air and cause scratches. Nitrile gloves are better I think.

Just look at what Dave wears in his conservation video. I think simple latex gloves are fine. The other gloves you see others wear in videos are no better then a pair of woolly gloves. You do not need gloves for bullion gold.

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

33 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Just look at what Dave wears in his conservation video. I think simple latex gloves are fine. The other gloves you see others wear in videos are no better then a pair of woolly gloves. You do not need gloves for bullion gold.

Dave? Sorry Luc, I'm still a bit new here! lol

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

51 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Just never ever touch the surface. In case you did acetone is a good solvent to remove oily stuff. Fabric gloves, in theory, are soft, but they trap little bits of dust in the air and cause scratches. Nitrile gloves are better I think.

I have blue nitrile gloves and 99.9% IPA from another hobby. Is IPA ok for cleaning precious metals, or just Acetone?

16 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

Old post on it here may be useful - 

I get a box of the latex type mentioned in the post every now and then, come in handy for handling meat too

That's one of the reasons I always have a box or two of blue nitrile gloves. Got 3 full racks of ribs in the freezer and nice weather coming next week

6 minutes ago, Spyder said:

@GoldDiggerDave and his youtube video

Cheers mate. Will take a look

Just now, bobski said:

That's one of the reasons I always have a box or two of blue nitrile gloves. Got 3 full racks of ribs in the freezer and nice weather coming next week

That's basically what I use and it seems fine, I dont really handle the gold much other than when i first get it to test it, there after it stays in a capsule.

And yep, defo needed for the bbq's - still trying to master the art of applying the rub/seasoning without wasting too many gloves 

Here Jamie, get yourself some of these.  I used to use these at work in the building industry, very strong. Available from Toolstation, screwfix etc,

latex Gloves.jpg

Edited by Spyder

2 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Here Jamie, get yourself some of these.  I use to use these at work in the building industry, very strong. Available from Toolstation, screwfix etc,

latex Gloves.jpg

You know what, I will send you a pair. 

2 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Here Jamie, get yourself some of these.  I use to use these at work in the building industry, very strong. Available from Toolstation, screwfix etc,

latex Gloves.jpg

my missus gets me blue medical gloves from work. not sure I could bring myself to spend £20 on a box of disposables lol

Just now, Spyder said:

You know what, I will send you a pair. 

really? thats very kind of you mate!

2 hours ago, bobski said:

I have blue nitrile gloves and 99.9% IPA from another hobby. Is IPA ok for cleaning precious metals, or just Acetone?

IPA is OK as far as I know.

2 hours ago, bobski said:

IPA could be used to dry coins once you'd rinsed them. Somehow acetone leaves some light residue that need washing off with IPA. Never wash acrylic capsules with acetone as they dissolve, but ethanol and IPA are plastic friendly.

@Spyder cheers, where possible don’t wear them, (I only wear them really for conservation work and also no one can see my grubby hands on film as no matter how much of a scrubbing I give them working close to the camera shows every tiny marks on my hands) 

The black rubber surgical gloves you mentioned are far the better option, do not use jewellers gloves it will end in tears as they are too slippery like handling a bar of soap in the bath. 

25 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@Spyder cheers, where possible don’t wear them, (I only wear them really for conservation work and also no one can see my grubby hands on film as no matter how much of a scrubbing I give them working close to the camera shows every tiny marks on my hands) 

The black rubber surgical gloves you mentioned are far the better option, do not use jewellers gloves it will end in tears as they are too slippery like handling a bar of soap in the bath. 

Is the choice of black nitrile over blue nitrile purely for aesthetics or durability/grip? (or something else)

27 minutes ago, bobski said:

Is the choice of black nitrile over blue nitrile purely for aesthetics or durability/grip? (or something else)

Yes I just chose the black for aesthetics s it doesn't looking like I'm doing someones prostrate exam with the natural NHS looking ones! 

48 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Yes I just chose the black for aesthetics s it doesn't looking like I'm doing someones prostrate exam with the natural NHS looking ones! 

I have a rare genetic bowel condition, So the blue gloves make me feel safe 😂

10 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Sorry to hear that mate, they will all do the same job.  what are you doing that needs gloves?  

The stack is building up so I thought I'd take precautions when handling. Also having to handle sovereigns quite a lot as I'm making tester gauges and coin tubes on my 3D printer. Was looking at cotton gloves, but on your collective advice I'll stick with medical gloves as I get them free

2 minutes ago, bobski said:

The stack is building up so I thought I'd take precautions when handling. Also having to handle sovereigns quite a lot as I'm making tester gauges and coin tubes on my 3D printer. Was looking at cotton gloves, but on your collective advice I'll stick with medical gloves as I get them free

Yes definitely use the medical gloves.  Jewellers gloves are not fit for purpose,  it would be good to see what you make.  I'm on the look out for antique sovereign gauges. with things like gauges I suppose it would need to be made with a material that can't be easily worn away as the more you use them they could wear away and make it inaccurate. 

Though if you could mould a 1oz silver brit for example, you then could use the mould as a test for diameter and thickness and you could have a few different ones for different sizes and metals. I could see something like a plastic tight fitting base in the shape  of the coin with a slider that runs over the gauge to check it's not over thick, as most fakes are either imo either thicker  or wider to make up for the less dense material used. 

What could be good is a hanger for gravity tests,  don't know if you have seen people testing PM's using a volume of water and then hanging the coin into the water, the result can be very accurate and its been a tried and tested way to test PM content for centuries.   I was thinking about using some lego to build something just to test the idea.  

When I'm testing bullion coins I just handle them and run them rough my hand with a gentle ping to hear the resonance, or gently let if flip on a solid desktop you can hear dead ones a mile off.   Of course don't do this with proof of numismatic coins. 

Let us see what you make it's interesting! 

1 minute ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Yes definitely use the medical gloves.  Jewellers gloves are not fit for purpose,  it would be good to see what you make.  I'm on the look out for antique sovereign gauges. with things like gauges I suppose it would need to be made with a material that can't be easily worn away as the more you use them they could wear away and make it inaccurate. 

Though if you could mould a 1oz silver brit for example, you then could use the mould as a test for diameter and thickness and you could have a few different ones for different sizes and metals. I could see something like a plastic tight fitting base in the shape  of the coin with a slider that runs over the gauge to check it's not over thick, as most fakes are either imo either thicker  or wider to make up for the less dense material used. 

What could be good is a hanger for gravity tests,  don't know if you have seen people testing PM's using a volume of water and then hanging the coin into the water, the result can be very accurate and its been a tried and tested way to test PM content for centuries.   I was thinking about using some lego to build something just to test the idea.  

When I'm testing bullion coins I just handle them and run them rough my hand with a gentle ping to hear the resonance, or gently let if flip on a solid desktop you can hear dead ones a mile off.   Of course don't do this with proof of numismatic coins. 

Let us see what you make it's interesting! 

Yeah I've seen the SG tests and found a good chart for different metals. the Sov jig/tester I'm printing right now is purely to test dimensional accuracy and it tests diameter and thickness. literally doing a test print of it now. I have already printed a 'ping tester' lol. Some sort of SG hanger/cradle would be something I'd like to design and make if you have any ideas