• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hi I'm new here in the silver world 🌎

coinlife8

3 hours ago, coinlife8 said:

I came across a large gothic florin coin the size of a fist about 0.35kg in weight but the seller couldn't told me who made it and it looked newish they it was a commertive coin.

Could anyone shed some light on who minted it thanks 

Gothic florins were only made in one size, to the best of my knowledge.

Here is a link to an 1852 example:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=1852gothicflorin.html

Rather shockingly, I / we seem to have omitted to include the dimensions, but they were about the same size as the old ten pences.

But you could look on Numista:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4840.html

1 hour ago, stefffana said:

I have not any clue about what coin you are talking about.

I didn't like to say that.

A link or some pictures would be beneficial.

Of the coin, not the dealer, although it would be interesting to know who the "dealer" was who was so uninformed and ignorant.

It could have been Chinese made replica, worth about £1, but probably offered on ebay or Amazon as extremely rare, stunning, for about £500, by someone who "doesn't know anything about coins, but my grandfather left it me in his will 50 years ago"

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

20 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Gothic florins were only made in one size, to the best of my knowledge.

Here is a link to an 1852 example:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=1852gothicflorin.html

Rather shockingly, I / we seem to have omitted to include the dimensions, but they were about the same size as the old ten pences.

But you could look on Numista:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4840.html

I have not any clue about what coin you are talking about.

I didn't like to say that.

A link or some pictures would be beneficial.

Of the coin, not the dealer, although it would be interesting to know who the "dealer" was who was so uninformed and ignorant.

It could have been Chinese made replica, worth about £1, but probably offered on ebay or Amazon as extremely rare, stunning, for about £500, by someone who "doesn't know anything about coins, but my grandfather left it me in his will 50 years ago"

😎

There's offering one for £1200 on ebay you were right price has gone up then. right. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175216923265?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=o9nTmn5WQv2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=c8tdkd4mqiq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1 minute ago, coinlife8 said:

Thank you all for your expertise. 

5 minutes ago, coinlife8 said:

I would of thought the seller on ebay would know its a replica I've messaged them to ask its origin and a little information becuase they have it listed as 13.5 ounces of silver perhaps there not aware

You are welcome!

Mt advice is to leave it. Even it is pure silver replica (you can be sure only after you have it in hand, fully tested), have absolutely no extrinsic value.

2 minutes ago, coinlife8 said:

A nice spink & son ltd please don't say this is a replica 

16741348539941838812093775299667.jpg

This one is a medal, not a coin, made and certified by somebody, so is another  situation.

Still, not high premium unfortunately. 

24 minutes ago, coinlife8 said:

So the genuine large silver florin coin is 65 mm

No, the genuine silver Gothic florin is 

Diameter 30 mm

according to the Numista link I posted.

If a silver florin is 65mm, it is not a "genuine large silver florin coin".

The reverse of "your" "coin" is of a Gothic Crown, not a florin.

I do know someone had some large replicas made, perhaps about 10+ years ago, they were silver, alhough off-hand I do not remember whether they were 925 or 999.

Spot fine silver is just over £600 per kilo, so I suspect that most interested TSF members would take £200 as their starting price.

Of course, if it is on ebay, then it might be / probably is a fake replica made in silver-plated base metal, overpriced, and my bet is the seller would be dodgy even if he had 100% feedback.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

1 hour ago, coinlife8 said:

A nice spink & son ltd please don't say this is a replica 

Spink & Son Ltd were always very nice to me whenever I called in, except sometimes their (temporary / agency) receptionists could be rather toffee nosed and frosty!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

55 minutes ago, stefffana said:

You are welcome!

Mt advice is to leave it. Even it is pure silver replica (you can be sure only after you have it in hand, fully tested), have absolutely no extrinsic value.

This one is a medal, not a coin, made and certified by somebody, so is another  situation.

Still, not high premium unfortunately. 

Thank you, its so interesting this silver coin bussiness, quite enjoyable.

I only paid around £45 including shipping so hopefully not to bad.

Thanks 

13 minutes ago, coinlife8 said:

Thanks 

If you are talking about the Spink medal, then generally that sort of thing should cost not much more than its silver value. But if you like it then its money we'll spent.

1 hour ago, coinlife8 said:

Thanks 

Enjoy! If you like it, it is the right price. If you will try to sell it, will be difficult to recover the money, but all of us did this "mistake".

Technically, it is not a mistake, if you have fun and like it, why not?🤗

8 minutes ago, stefffana said:

Enjoy! If you like it, it is the right price. If you will try to sell it, will be difficult to recover the money, but all of us did this "mistake".

Technically, it is not a mistake, if you have fun and like it, why not?🤗

Where would you recommend buying kilos of silver from I'd like to get abit because I can only see the Gbp losing value as history shows us.

Also seems someone was questioning  the same coin I found a link from 2015 from there were as puzzled as me they did mention  possibly coincraft as being the seller at a time but the trail seems to have gone cold. Mystery 

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic45140.html

12 minutes ago, coinlife8 said:

Where would you recommend buying kilos of silver from I'd like to get abit because I can only see the Gbp losing value as history shows us.

Also seems someone was questioning  the same coin I found a link from 2015 from there were as puzzled as me they did mention  possibly coincraft as being the seller at a time but the trail seems to have gone cold. Mystery 

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic45140.html

My first advice is to upgrade your membership. For only £5.99/month (Silver membership) you will have instantly access to bargains on forum on Buy/Sell section. You will find there .999 silver coins/rounds priced very well from £24/oz up to £30/oz, depending on mint and scarcity. Kilo bars are selling from @£725/bar, up to £850/kilo coin. So, for building slowly your stack the forum it is my first choice.

Also, you can buy from reputable dealers as A, B, Bb, C (Atkinsons, Baird, Bleyer Bullion, Chards). This order is alphabetical only, compare yourself the prices before ordering and spend your money wisely.

Happy stacking!🤗

Edited by stefffana