• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Eurotrash special! Reduced.

SilverCrane

Hello,

Selling a series of coins over the next few days, to raise funds for life`s trials and tribulations.

First are these two coins:

1. Prussian German Mark 3 1908

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3643.html

Was looking for £40 now reduced £30

Next is the Latvian 5 Lati 1932

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6595.html

Was asking for £50 now £40

Coins are posted with the case included

BT or PPFF

All the best

Kris

1Prussian German mark 3 1908 £40.JPG

1Prussian German mark 3 1908 Rear.JPG

1 Prussian German mark 3 Side.JPG

5 Lati Lativian 1932 Cover £50.JPG

5 Lati 1932 Close.JPG

5 Lati Latvian 1932 Rear.JPG

Good luck, especially with the sale of the 5 lats coin. I think the Latvian maiden in her traditional head dress and costume is rather beautiful, but then I am biased as my wife is Latvian and her mother brought two of these coins in mint condition out of the country when she was forced to flee from the advancing Russian army in 1945. A pity that the Latvian government sacrificed its established currency for the sake of joining the euro a few years ago. It was unusual, perhaps unique, amongst world currencies in that one lat was worth more than one pound sterling. Although at times the euro has edged towards parity with the pound, it has never quite made it.

12 minutes ago, RDHC said:

Good luck, especially with the sale of the 5 lats coin. I think the Latvian maiden in her traditional head dress and costume is rather beautiful, but then I am biased as my wife is Latvian and her mother brought two of these coins in mint condition out of the country when she was forced to flee from the advancing Russian army in 1945. A pity that the Latvian government sacrificed its established currency for the sake of joining the euro a few years ago. It was unusual, perhaps unique, amongst world currencies in that one lat was worth more than one pound sterling. Although at times the euro has edged towards parity with the pound, it has never quite made it.

Cheers RDHC........1945/2022 seem eerily similar.

1 hour ago, SilverCrane said:

Cheers RDHC........1945/2022 seem eerily similar.

You are perceptive and absolutely right.  Russia is currently doing to Ukraine exactly what it did to Latvia and the other Baltic states (and Poland) over 75 years ago. Brutality is unfortunately embedded in the Russian soul after centuries of cruel government, dating back to at least the 16th century. I used to teach history, so I know a little about what happened in Russia and what in turn it has done to other peoples.

And the Latvian government joined the euro to strengthen ties with Western Europe and in the hope of protection from Russia, which under Stalin had invaded the country twice, first in 1940 as the partner of Nazi Germany and then in 1945 as Hitler's enemy. Both times the Latvians were cruelly oppressed and tens of thousands murdered or deported to the gulag,  which was a living death. And then as now the Latvian population was very small, barely 2 millions. My mother in law had her father and other relatives killed by the Russian Communists after 1940 and her first husband died fighting them in 1945. (Oddly enough - and I apologise if it seems irrelevant - my wife and I attended a Latvian folk festival (dancing and singing) in Corby only two days ago. Latvia has an amazing 36,000 folk songs. Its people are still deeply attached to the countryside.)

Anyway, let's hope someone has the good taste and sufficient interest in history to buy your coin.

Roger

7 minutes ago, RDHC said:

You are perceptive and absolutely right.  Russia is currently doing to Ukraine exactly what it did to Latvia and the other Baltic states (and Poland) over 75 years ago. Brutality is unfortunately embedded in the Russian soul after centuries of cruel government, dating back to at least the 16th century. I used to teach history, so I know a little about what happened in Russia and what in turn it has done to other peoples.

And the Latvian government joined the euro to strengthen ties with Western Europe and in the hope of protection from Russia, which under Stalin had invaded the country twice, first in 1940 as the partner of Nazi Germany and then in 1945 as Hitler's enemy. Both times the Latvians were cruelly oppressed and tens of thousands murdered or deported to the gulag,  which was a living death. And then as now the Latvian population was very small, barely 2 millions. My mother in law had her father and other relatives killed by the Russian Communists after 1940 and her first husband died fighting them in 1945. (Oddly enough - and I apologise if it seems irrelevant - my wife and I attended a Latvian folk festival (dancing and singing) in Corby only two days ago. Latvia has an amazing 36,000 folk songs. Its people are still deeply attached to the countryside.)

Anyway, let's hope someone has the good taste and sufficient interest in history to buy your coin.

Roger

Strangely enough i started reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn`s Gulag Archipelago which touch's on what you describe above..................Kind of puts things into perspective when people here moan when

you don't get their pronouns right. Cheers Roger

32 minutes ago, SilverCrane said:

Strangely enough i started reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn`s Gulag Archipelago which touch's on what you describe above..................Kind of puts things into perspective when people here moan when

you don't get their pronouns right. Cheers Roger

You obviously read widely and reflect on what you read, both unusual qualities today, I'm afraid. Yes, a sense of perspective is precisely what many Western Europeans lack. In Eastern Europe people are generally more interested in 'being' as distinct from 'having', if you follow me.

Solzhenitsyn is a wonderful writer. If you don't know them, may I recommend his First Circle and also Cancer Ward, where his humanity as well as his acute political awareness shines through in a fictional form? In my opinion they stand comparison with anything written by the great Russian novelists of the 19th century and are probably more readable than parts of the latter's work.

Further apologies for straying from the original subject matter, but I think that digressions are part of the strength of the whole forum and that half of the appeal of coins is their context.

Roger

• SilverCrane changed the title to Eurotrash special! Reduced.
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived