• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cannot find the right books...

Silverissimo

Hi,

This is my first post! I have a couple of doubts I hope they do not sound too lame for you guys. I would like to know first if this forum is only about collectible silver coins or if other form of silver arts is discussed (such as miniatures, reproductions etc.). My second question is a bit more complex I guess. I am trying to get a knowledge in solid silver items (antiques and vintages), hallmarks and stamps included, but I cannot find a proper book anywhere on the web. Also, I would like to know if there are experts in solid silver miniatures.

Thanks for your time,

Silverissimo

Hello.  As you guessed the forum content is mainly on silver and gold coins and bars.

There may be somebody here who can help though.

I'm not sure about which books you are after.  Try searching 'antique silver guide'.  'Millers' have a range of books.  Just remember that book prices will be inflated.  

7 hours ago, Silverissimo said:

Hi,

This is my first post! I have a couple of doubts I hope they do not sound too lame for you guys. I would like to know first if this forum is only about collectible silver coins or if other form of silver arts is discussed (such as miniatures, reproductions etc.). My second question is a bit more complex I guess. I am trying to get a knowledge in solid silver items (antiques and vintages), hallmarks and stamps included, but I cannot find a proper book anywhere on the web. Also, I would like to know if there are experts in solid silver miniatures.

Thanks for your time,

Silverissimo

For Hallmarks and stamps, you don't need to buy any books. Use the following free websites for all the information you will ever need.

http://www.925-1000.com/

http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/

If you get stuck with anything or want some info, 925 has a great forum with some very friendly and extremely knowledgeable experts to point you in the right direction.

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/index.php

oooops, should have looked at the replies before posting as HH had already beat me to it ;)

Thank you very much for your replies! I will have a look at the forums mentioned above, they sound interesting. About the books I might have lacked in details but what I meant is about history of the silver art crafts. For instance, in Italy we have a great tradition of silver miniatures, gifted for decades in form of "favours" to all your guests during ceremonies such as weddings or christenings. There is for this reason a tradition about these little silver items, even if now people do not use to gift silver miniatures anymore (too expensive and very old fashioned-perceived in Italy...ah and let's not forget the economy crisis). 

Well, let's make a long story short, I have been kicked out by my 8 years company after they knew (unofficially and from the mouth of what I naively considered at the time a friend) that I was about to start our (my partner and I) second adoption procedure. Since then, I have managed to start "something" on eBay to sustain my family but, apart from great passion for them, I know little about silver miniatures and silver in general. I am only able to reckon them also thanks to my sister who used to work in a Silver shop. I am just eager to know more about the history of these and be able to distinguish miniatures from different countries (I know for sure in Netherlands they also have a tradition in producing these). Internet helps but the information are too fragmented and with debatable sources. 

But again, thank you very much for your suggestions and thanks for reading my post.

Silverissimo (Alby)

I'm wondering if by miniatures you mean silver charms?

Silver and gold charms were very popular in the past but somebody told me recently that there are some modern designer ones which are popular now too.

Not my picture below (just a silver charm google image)

silver%20charms%20photo%203.JPG

Too long too stressing and it was going to cost me 20k hoping to get 8k max IF I was going to win. and my little shop was kinda booming so I have decided just to walk out. I have tries but to fight against corporates is very difficult.

No, not silver charms, and yes indeed they are kinda again popular again thanks to brands like Pandora. But no, I mean vintage miniatures, also for doll houses.

I have attached some pics to make myself clear. 

$_57 (1).JPG

$_12.JPG

$_57 (1).JPG

Archived