• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin minting cost

JJH

There has always been a question in my mind as to how much the cost of coin minting falls within a reasonable range.
Of course, deduct the equipment that has already been purchased and the engraver is not his own employee

Generally, there is a certain distance between the price difference between BU gold coin and PROOF coin
Even the premium on silver coins is huge, sometimes up to tens of times. Of course, this does not refer to the new technology of super high relief.

In my impression, the Robin Hood BU gold coin issued last time is almost a little bit higher than the price of gold. It is very appropriate.

It feels like there is almost no casting cost. It’s really amazing, but it’s not always the case with other BUs.

Especially when it’s proof, my memory is that there were multiple shocks at slow speeds and low pressures. And this directly leads to the price of the produced coins being nearly 1.5 times or more?

And this is reflected in silver. Of course, the price will be a little higher on silver BU, but it feels super leverage on PROOF silver.
Is the casting cost of BU and PROOF really a huge extreme?

You're paying for a number of extra things with proof coins. Packaging and time are two things that come to mind. Packinging of course would need to include the design and manufacture of the packaging. Time because the minting of proofs is more laborious than of BU requiring multiple strikes and special handling. I also believe that some mints put more time into making the dies used for proofs and use more of those dies in order to keep the the finish on the proofs consistent so there is an addition labour and materials cost there. Also something they have to factor in is returns/refunds and the costs that come with that.

Does this and anything else I might have missed add up to the price difference? No I don't expect so but I would expect them to be taking a higher amount of profit on an item that is more time consuming/expensive for them to produce.

The Mints take of course a higher profit margin on a proof coin because it is a "premium" product.

One extra cost with a proof coin is that the dice they make for it will only be used a few times so the cost/ coin is much higher.

But it would be very interesting to know how much the average cost is for the mintage of one BU coin, with a high mintage number ?