• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Unmarked possible Silver

Subo

Looking for some advice about this piece.  I bought this piece as I thought it was silver.  It was completely yellow and black when I bought it. I thought I might find a hallmark after cleaning it up.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be hallmarked.  Should I pay a jeweller to appraise it or do an acid test on it. I have read the acid test is not good idea for good silver like this.  If I take it to a jeweller anyone know what they may charge. Any advice welcome.

IMG_20210922_193830_4.jpg

Edited by Subo

Hi, nice piece.

1. Try to check if is magnetic. If not,

2. If is not having a full hallmark, try to find between decorations maybe you can find somewhere written 800, 835, 900 or another numbers. This will show you that it is continental silver. If not, go to a jeweller for a test, or better...

4. Order on Amazon or Ebay a 10ml bottle of acid test for silver. When arrived, apply a tiny drop somewhere on the bottom, on a hidden area, after you have scratched a little the surface. If it is base metal, will corrode burning in yellow, green or blue. If is pewter, will do nothing. If is silver, will turn in red and after you wipe the area will be like blood on wipe and on silver will remain a tiny white spot. The remaining acid will help you in the future when you are unsure again.

All the best and keep us updated.

Stefan 

Edited by stefffana

Hi Stefan,

Many thanks for your reply. I tested with a magnet and it is not magnetic. Not able to find any numbers on it. There is still a lot of black under the feet so will clean that off and take another look. I have found some acid test solution on ebay so will order it. Thanks for the advice and yes I agree it's a lovely piece.

Sue.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a test stone and some silver acid. Didn't seem to work at first when I put a blob of acid on the stone after scraping but when I used a cotton bud with a bit of acid on it and rubbed it on the stone  where I had scraped it went red. So hoping this means it is silver.

8 minutes ago, Subo said:

I bought a test stone and some silver acid. Didn't seem to work at first when I put a blob of acid on the stone after scraping but when I used a cotton bud with a bit of acid on it and rubbed it on the stone  where I had scraped it went red. So hoping this means it is silver.

Hi, I want to recommend you a very instructive video made by a very good refiner, named Sreetips. 

I am very sure that watching is easier to understand how to test your silver.

Cheers!

Stefan.

Hi Stefan,

I have filed and tested a small part of one of the feet on the base and a small part under the rim at the top. The base showed a light yellow/silver metal underneath and the acid turned blue. However, when a part of the foot was scraped on the test stone I picked up red with the acid. On the rim the metal underneath was silver and it tested red with the acid straight away.  So I think the base is silver plated and probably nickel underneath and the bowl is silver (hopefully).  I am guessing that the base would need to be heavy to support the bowl. I have bought other silver items that had a weighted base.  Many thanks for your help with this.

Sue.

Is it possible the base and bowl were originally two different pieces? If not I would say 99% sure it's all plate imo.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

It could be the base and bowl were once separate. It looks like the base was soldered to the bowl underneath and the pattern of the base isn't repeated in the bowl. It's a bit of an enigma. I might have to take it to the guy who buys my damaged/scrap silver.

7 minutes ago, Subo said:

It could be the base and bowl were once separate. It looks like the base was soldered to the bowl underneath and the pattern of the base isn't repeated in the bowl. It's a bit of an enigma. I might have to take it to the guy who buys my damaged/scrap silver.

Or just keep it and use it every day. The bowl is beautiful anyway.

Thanks Stefan. I agree it is a beautiful bowl and I enjoy looking it on my sideboard. I would never weigh it in even if it was silver, I could never forgive myself but my silver guy would probably tell me for sure if it was silver.