• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1937 Sovereign opinion needed - hairlines normal or cleaned?

3 hours ago, Wampum said:

I would agree with  @SilverMike,with Die polishing the lines are pronounced and stand out from the surface, more visible under magnification.

Due to how the devices are incuse on the Die, when they are prepared, These will usually stop dead at the edge of the image ,in this instance around the Kings head Lettering ,

and St George.

Marks that are not from Die prep will form a halo around the image/Device where no scratches are present, or at least less scratches occur.

There is a possibility of this around the horses head, under Georges arm, and around his hairline, however this would be going just by my own experience.

It is a lovely looking coin, and for it age would be more dubious, if it did not have any  marks on it.

I would say the coin looks to have been well loved and lightly brushed over with a soft cloth from time to time, however would not have thought it's cleaned. 

Good luck if you decide to go for it, would be nice to own.     

Thanks for sharing your detailed thoughts and opinions. 🙂

It really does have great eye appeal in some other pics I have.

2 hours ago, Allgoldcoins said:

He is the entire set almost free from any blemishes, they do exist in almost as struck condition, but many as the examples above have been cleaned with abrasive cloths over the years as 1937 was well before the days of capsules.1146915779_375poundobSETcopy2X1sm.thumb.png.d414ed9196a31a62c0daa98b1c3b3373.png

This looks gorgeous for sure. But I’m almost certain it is lighting and angle that makes this set look so perfect, like a proof set that has been recently struck.

As I just mentioned in a previous comment, in other pics I have, the coin I asked about has great eye appeal and looks very much like this set you shared. It is only magnification and lighting / angle that reveals all sorts of other details.