• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help please

Sadiegoose

Can anyone help me in figuring out if this sauce boat is worth anything? I’m not too knowledgeable in silver and how to tell if it’s plated or solid? Any help would be much appreciated. It only let me upload one photo so I uploaded the markings on the bottom of it.

3619A4B4-F23A-4814-B6E4-3BD05A7C542C.jpeg

All I can make out from the bottom is "made in Japan"?   The best way to determine whether it is silver plated or pure silver is to take your bowl to a reputable bullion dealer that buys and sells precious metals in your area.  They have testing equipment that can determine how much silver is in the bowl, and how much they would buy from you if you were looking to sell it.   I don't know much about silverware, but I would ask around and see if this item you have is worth more than its metal content.  Too often we hear a story of someone selling something for cheap, only to find out it was an antique that's worth lots of money.  Not saying this is the situation here, but something that you should confirm so you won't have any regrets later.   Good luck!

I would indeed recommend to have it tested for material, and if possible a certain date as well.

There is a good chance that this may be silver.

Japanese Hallmark shows the characters ''Jungin'' for items pre 1928 from what I can find, and  the first character on your picture looks similar enough that it could be a faded stamp as per below (first character only):
image.png.bf02913dac675c9ebb2e660c80544e4f.png

However, I have no idea what those other characters stand for. Likely to be date/maker/location or something like that, it'd be best to have that checked out by someone with some knowledge of Japanese to actually read the stamps.

Hope that helps!

Archived