• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Charts on historic premiums

Bigmarc

Hi.

I am having no luck on looking for charts and data on historic premiums paid on precious metals. 

Before now I have never really paid much attention to the premiums paid, if gold currently trades at 5% and silver at 45%, I thought it would be handy to see the trends as the spot price doesn't seem to mean anything.

Cheers

Premiums seem to vary a bit between sellers and items.  I wonder if someone on here recorded the going rate of say sovereigns on this forum over the last few years

The physical demand of silver bullion is such a small part of its use, it seems pointless trying to follow the historic charts of the spot price. Silver bullion is its own product if it demands a premium of anything from 10% to 50%. If I am trying to make a decision based upon what I own, it would be handy to have some if and history on this. Like OPEC controlling the flow of oil has no correlation of the price we pay at the pump (industry pays one price, the consumer pays a higher price). 

If their was a "squeeze" on the market, my opinion is that from the mine to the refinery the price would be relatively unchanged. From the refinery forwards is what actually matters to us. 3% of silver mined goes in to coins, 2% goes into bars, 50% goes towards industry uses. The spot price will only ever be a reflection of industrial use. Gold on the other had is 50%+ investment, this is what drives the spot price.

Before coming to the forum I only have ever traded as a percentage over spot. Now I see one of the main values is what premium the bullion market demands over spot.

I couldn't find any reliable information, apart from one photo.

Screenshot_20210427-122110-334.png.6d0c33b1963769133746b05ea58a815c.png

You could look at the sales section here on TSF starting back in 2014 and compare to spot price at that time. It'd be a long winded exercise but it's possible. Or just sample one or two sales for a rough and ready guide.

Archived