• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold bullion

RoughDog

I have a question I have been pondering?

How does a gold bullion dealer sell gold cheaper than the manufacturer?

Example: Royal Mint sells 1 oz gold Britannia in max quantity of 100+ at £1,4333.66

Popular dealers sell an individual coin far cheaper than this.

My question is how does a dealer purchase their coins so cheap?

Surely gold cannot be purchased cheaper than spot price, then the mint has to produce the coin and make a profit, the the dealer has to purchase it from the mint and make a profit.

Doesn't add up to me.

I think most manufacturers of any product charge a premium for ordering direct. If they undercut their retailers why would they stock their product to begin with, no one would buy them and they'd just go direct.

It's a similair reason why Xbox or Playstation charge you more for a digital copy of a game than one that has to be pressed onto a DVD, have a cover printed, a case made and shipped half way around the world, because they want their product on the high street where you can see them.

that's a good question and one that i've often wondered.

As already mentioned, RM may sell at a higher price to the public than to dealers.

Also, In order to become an official dealer, you need to have minimum ordering volumes. I'd guess therefore some would therefore be happy to sell at small margins or even at a slight loss to maintain this position..e.g. being front of the queue for new releases.

and finally, some dealers in the UK have buy back rates at significantly below (>5% spot), and then sell them back on at a significant profit. Most sovs that they buy back will be in BU condition anyway !

Archived