• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is silver worth buying with VAT on top?

AndyDee

I'm new to the forum but have been collecting/stacking for a few years now through conventional dealers and paid vat. I'm not worried as metals will always have intrinsic value where as fiat is being devalued at an alarming rate outstripping the vat and premium losses. I see physical gold silver and platinum as a store of wealth with a good chance of profit in the longterm and if I never touch it my kids can have it tax free.

In short I think some longterm stackers are pissed about the vat but where our economy is heading at the moment I still think it is relatively cheap for one of the oldest currencies in the world. Any way who doesn't  like real treasure.

2 hours ago, spoon said:

HI I agree with everything you have said apart from one thing......it is a myth that  our government regulates our access to swords, knives, spears and crossbow or bows of any size are all perfectly legal to buy and own in the uk. I know this as I am a collector of medieval weapons. I own many swords and large knives of various sizes that you can purchase without any kind of regulation. Just google ...the knight shop or southern swords and you will see that these items are freely available to purchase and own without a licence or any kind of regulation in the uk. Obviously you can not walk around in a public place with a large sword but on private land you can and it is 100% legal.

Not any knives though as you aren’t allowed to own or buy things like flick knives, “butterfly” knives, knuckle dusters or knuckle duster knives and samurai swords or other similar shaped swords iirc became illegal, at least for a while, unless they were traditionally made.  
as for carrying knives good luck with that as the police often don’t know the actual law.  I was arrested after being searched due to speaking to someone the police were detaining for being nuisance drunk and ended up spending a long weekend in the cells for carrying a non locking, friction folder with a sub 3 in blade.  
The police decided the 3 inches included the whole metal part of the knife which was much longer than the bladed part due to it being a friction folder where you are effectively holding the blade open with the tail of the knife that folds into the handle.

Then they photographed said knife for evidence but didn’t place it next to a ruler or scale so you could see the cutting edge wasn’t over 3 inches, altered my name so I wasn’t called correctly when it came to court and gave me a lawyer that didn’t have the sense to get the case dropped because of this alone.  No, I was reprimanded for holding the court up because I hesitated entering the box when my middle and last names were transposed and not given a chance to explain.

I carry fixed bladed knives and axes for bushcraft all the time but I am careful when I'm in public areas to put them out of sight.  Im usually in remote locations though to be fair. I consider my knives and axes as tools and use them as such.

I also work on building sites by day and find it ironic that most of my tools could be used in anger and therefore be classed as weapons. A shovel is a shovel until you hit someone with it so anything has the potential to be a weapon. It's the intent that makes the difference and why our laws are a joke. Most knife crime is probably committed with kitchen knife these days. Cheap and readily available.

Sorry you lost your EDC knife,  I personally always have one on me and use it daily.

Anyway, buy silver.👍

Archived