• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What got you into stacking / collecting?

SpaceCash

I got into the idea of stacking when I stumbled across "hidden secrets of money" by Mike Maloney on YouTube as part of a documentary film binge. He makes a compelling case for gold but with my budget and the premiums on small weights on gold, silver made a lot more sense to me. Did a load of reading and decided to take the plunge. What got you guys interested?

Space cash is only worth what you as a planet decided it was worth!

I'm not entirely sure what started me off to be honest.

I used to collect coins and sold up everything when silver shot near £30, and then I had a break for a while.

When I saw silver had dropped below £20, I wanted to start again but went with bullion this time instead.

Glad I did, it's a great savings account.

Stacker since 2013

Had a bit of cash in my pocket went into the local coin shop and spent £800 on silver coins :D having not bought a coin in 30 years.

Although I was very clued up on spot price of gold and silver having owned shares in a few mining companies

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I was so concerned over the banking problems and global economy that I thought all my money would disappear, so I bought a gold Krugerrand and gave it to my wife as a stocking filler, (Her Birthday is 25.12.xxxx). 

However gold is expensive so the next alternative was Silver, and here I am 3-4 years later with a huge stack!!!.

Thats what did it for me.

I still think the world monetary system will probably be thrown into turmoil sometime in the future.

Now investment first, SHTF scenario second. 

Totally agree about low trust in banks. My trust in things like ISAs and pensions is low and as someone who can't get onto the property ladder right now it makes sense to have another physical asset

As much as I hate to admit it now, I got into it by watching Mike Maloney videos. I do believe he speaks some truth and a lot of his videos are very educational at better understand the system, but at the end of the day he needs to scare people into buying. Its his business. But I'am thankful it got me started.

The economy is a mess and I don't for one minute believe we are in a recovery and this is why I stack. If you don't hold it, you don't own it.

If I'm completely wrong about the economy and I hope I am, then I have lost nothing. Silver and Gold is still savings.

Yes I agree with that statement but!!! 

You would still need some form of currency i.e. Gold and Silver.

This will allow you to barter for your beer and loo rolls, food etc. Sounds extreme but that is what would happen I guess.

So does that mean I ditch my Silver and gold and buy beer or at least the ingredients to make wine and beer, actually now have written it down it is not such a bad idea.

I used to make wine eons ago may still have some of the demijohns etc in the attic!!!!

Maybe I will diversify!!! :lol:

ive only just started , but ive become a you tube addict , wether you buy into peter Schiff , alex jones, Gerald celente, max keiser, even david icke, , I also am a bit worried in case the Cyprus thing happens here , we have the £85000 guarantee but im niot sure that works if the gooverment wants some of our cash, my fear is bullion in too large a bar, in case if you need to sell then  obody will buy it from you.

but my isa currently gets 1 1/2 %  which I cant see going up for the foreseeable future,  still don't understand wether to hold both gold and silver or just one

I watch for the dips but missed this weeks by not taking action

I pay zero attention to any of the PM pundits on youtube, they are not making the videos telling you what you should or shouldn't buy, or what the price will do to make you money. They tell you what you should do to make them money. They are not looking to help you out. Not to mention that halfwits like Alex Jones don't seem to be to be a few bob short at the best of times anyway.

My dad dug out his own coin collection from the loft in '08 and I got interested in doing it, right when everything went arse over tit. Remember wanting to buy a 1kg bar of silver for £350 at the time.

@Ares

I bet you wished you had bought it now!!!.

I too have ISA's and am optimistic for the future, however I will always stack. 

@ Craig12

I would also go for Gold (No pun intended, but nonetheless quite good), I am into Full Sovereign's at the moment have two and will buy 1-2 more in the next week or so. Also looking to order another 40 ozs of Silver.

I really do, but as though I bought in 2011 like some unfortunates ;)

Balanced portfolio is the most steady which - in a way - is what got me into collecting a varied collection of coins including bullion, semi-numi and numismatic. I loved the variety of coins available as sometimes bullion can be a bit restrictive for my tastes (I have no interest in the Rwandas or Koalas, for example).

I like the NGC graded coins.

I know they carry a premium but I order most of mine form either USA or Canada that sort of keeps the cost down a bit.

I think they will always carry a premium just hope it goes up an awful lot in the future.

True, the premium is retained and typically makes a coin slightly less susceptible to price fluctuations it seems like. Presumably you buy from sites like Apmex and the like? Don't import fees really kick you square in the b*lls?

No I buy from the bay!!!

I recently bought a MS 69 Alligator for £33 delivered no duty (phew).

I have also just bought a 5 oz Proof Freedom Girl (I think theses are fantastic coins) for £108. This is from a contact I have I the USA.

No I buy from the bay!!!

I recently bought a MS 69 Alligator for £33 delivered no duty (phew).

I have also just bought a 5 oz Proof Freedom Girl (I think theses are fantastic coins) for £108. This is from a contact I have I the USA.

Should have come to me Keith, I could have got you one for £90 delivered.

I'm going to have to get rid of the signature... It's making my posts sound strange. Apologies!

Sounds like a pretty good definition of fiat currency!

It was Mike Maloney's "Hidden Secrets of Money" video series, along with Murray Rothbard's book "The Mystery of Banking" that made me take an interest in stacking PMs, more as a hedge against inflation and preservation of wealth than insurance against a global financial reset. Even if our fiat currencies go into meltdown and we enter a "high velocity random excrement distribution" scenario, I very much doubt stored bullion will be of much use at the time, but it might well be a good asset to hold  afterwards during the inevitable rebuilding of the financial system.

Makes me wonder how many others who's watched the doom merchants on Youtube have done any other disaster prepping; if it comes to the crunch I will value stocks of food, water, medical supplies and weapons ahead of gold or silver. I am unlikely to trade my baked beans and corned beef for Britannias, Eagles, or even a proof Kook in such a situation.

Makes me wonder how many others who's watched the doom merchants on Youtube have done any other disaster prepping; if it comes to the crunch I will value stocks of food, water, medical supplies and weapons ahead of gold or silver.

Might be worth starting a thread on that subject SS.

Stacker since 2013

Archived