• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I bought a Canada 1 dollar 1979 which is a fake coin

Bobbob2020

Hello everyone

On Ebay i bought a Canada 1 dollar 1979 Griffen coin by a dealer in Europe. If the coin is real it weighs 23,32 gram. My coin weighs 22,6 gram and is very shinny. For a coin that are 41 years old.

Am I the only one who have tried this. To buy this fake Silvercoin? Please help.

The good news is you bought it on eBay so, if it is fake, you can go via their buyer protection and get a full refund.

Do a specific gravity test as well just to make double sure, take lots of photos / a vid of the results and dispute it!

4 hours ago, Bobbob2020 said:

Hello everyone

On Ebay i bought a Canada 1 dollar 1979 Griffen coin by a dealer in Europe. If the coin is real it weighs 23,32 gram. My coin weighs 22,6 gram and is very shinny. For a coin that are 41 years old.

Am I the only one who have tried this. To buy this fake Silvercoin? Please help.

Can you post pictures of the coin?

5 hours ago, Bobbob2020 said:

Hello everyone

That’s not an insane weight differential if it was worn as heck and aggressively cleaned.    For instance the difference in silver weight only a circulated but nice condition mercury dime is about .0715 ozt where as an uncirculated coin would have .0723 ozt.  Weight loss happens on very circulated and cleaned coins.

1 hour ago, Bobbob2020 said:

Good news. The dealer is accepting to take the coin back. I am happy with this. I will always test my newly bought silvercoins, with a magnet and a fine scale weigh.

It would be handy to see some pictures of it. If it is a fake it would be good to document it as a known coin being faked. Its an odd one with just the info provided here because I don't know why anyone would go through the effort to fake a coin like that. Most of those Canadian dollars from that era were only .500 and aren't really expensive to buy as they are. I just can't see the motivation to fake one so would really like to see some pictures if possible.

Archived