• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stacking Britannias vs Valiants vs Two Dragons

Divmad

Can someone well acquainted with modern RM 1oz Silver Bullion coins please comment on the relative merits of collecting/stacking these three UK coins? The Brits are obviously easy to come by, whereas the other two hardly ever show up for sale, but of course they command premium prices. What should that premium be? Are the higher priced items likely to continue to rise relative to the Britannias due to collector demand? And then there are the Oriental design Brits to consider. Does anyone know the annual mintage figures of these other coins? Cheers.

Brits are basic regular bullion and can be found in pristine condition but more likely to have some sort of scuffs or minor marks.
This is for 2013 to present day because they are .999 silver.
Pre 2013 the Brits were harder because they were alloyed with other metal making them more resilient and less prone to scuffs and scratches.
This was known as Britannia silver which was .958 but the coins were heavier as they had to contain 1 Toz of .999 silver.
Also there were lots of different designs on the reverse making them very collectible.

As for other RM coins some are better quality controlled and supplied in capsules from the Mint so generally in excellent condition ( matching Perth Mint ).
You may expect to pay a little extra for these but probably worth it.
The prices of the 2 oz Queens Beasts at time of issue have been very fair but the first 2 coins - Lion and Griffin will cost more than twice that of the others, even more.

As for premiums on any coin this is entirely down to supply and demand and where you look to buy.
One seller will ask £24 for a coin that another seller will ask £34 and some of our well known UK dealers might chance their luck at even higher prices whilst there is strong demand.

When it comes to selling it's all about what is in demand or of interest at the time.
Just because you bought a specific coin at a higher than normal price doesn't guarantee this difference will stick with the coin.
I sold some "premium" proof coins because I wanted to clear them and ended up selling 30% below my cost price.
If you are stacking silver then focus on regular bullion and Britannias are as good a coin to stack as any other.

Many thanks, Pete, for your reply.

I guess as a novice still at this game/hobby, I'm still questioning whether I am at heart a stacker, mostly concerned with inflation-proofing my savings in the long term, or a collector/speculator, looking to get outsized appreciation by spotting trends in demand early on, and attractively designed and minted individual coins or series.

Your advice about sticking with Britannias is absolutely correct in the former case. As a collector, I am simply submerged in choice from all the various Mints around the world, just as a stamp collector armed just with a Stanley Gibbons World Stamps Volume and a New Issue list would be. As an equity investor all my adult life, I am trained to look for above-average demand and price potentials which I suppose in the case of silver bullion coins requires more research and listening to those YouTube videos for insights. Time is needed, to take it all in!

Or I could just buy what appeals aesthetically to me, as cash flow permits, and be hanged with the attraction to the wider coin collecting fraternity, knowing that at least I do have a floor intrinsic value for each coin, which will probably rise in the long run.

Archived