• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying Silver Eagles to increase stack

Hyperlite

Was wondering if it was a terrible time to invest in 100 or so silver eagles. I have been watching the price for a few months now, new to silver stacking/collecting, and I know its pretty high at the moment.  My worry is that the prices are only going to continue to go up and right now is the lowest we will see silver/silver eagle prices for quite awhile or ever again. Any advice would be appreciated and thank you for your time:)

p.s. and I chose silver eagles over generic rounds because i have heard it will be easier to get more money out of them when it comes time to sell

5 hours ago, Hyperlite said:

Was wondering if it was a terrible time to invest in 100 or so silver eagles. I have been watching the price for a few months now, new to silver stacking/collecting, and I know its pretty high at the moment.  My worry is that the prices are only going to continue to go up and right now is the lowest we will see silver/silver eagle prices for quite awhile or ever again. Any advice would be appreciated and thank you for your time:)

p.s. and I chose silver eagles over generic rounds because i have heard it will be easier to get more money out of them when it comes time to sell

I'm a new collector (not an investor) and Silver Eagle Proofs are one of my favorite coins to collect. I also buy coins from other countries but I've managed to accumulate 120 Silver Eagle Proofs since last December. As I said, I'm not an investor but if I were I would be comfortable buying Silver Eagles because they are a very popular coin and probably always will be. 

16 hours ago, GLB49 said:

I'm a new collector (not an investor) and Silver Eagle Proofs are one of my favorite coins to collect. I also buy coins from other countries but I've managed to accumulate 120 Silver Eagle Proofs since last December. As I said, I'm not an investor but if I were I would be comfortable buying Silver Eagles because they are a very popular coin and probably always will be. 

Are you in the UK? If so where have you managed to find Eagle Proofs (I assume at a decent price)?

2 minutes ago, EddieC said:

Are you in the UK? If so where have you managed to find Eagle Proofs (I assume at a decent price)?

I'm in California. I ordered my 2018, 2019 and 2020 Silver Eagle Proofs from the US Mint website but that's the only years they had available. The rest were ordered from APMEX. I have a few of each year back to 2010 and I have from 1986 through 1993.  I'm working on filling in the gap between 1993 and 2010. As far as price goes APMEX is usually pretty competitive. 

2 hours ago, GLB49 said:

I'm in California. I ordered my 2018, 2019 and 2020 Silver Eagle Proofs from the US Mint website but that's the only years they had available. The rest were ordered from APMEX. I have a few of each year back to 2010 and I have from 1986 through 1993.  I'm working on filling in the gap between 1993 and 2010. As far as price goes APMEX is usually pretty competitive. 

You have an advantage there. That will be a nice collection when you get it completed. I've move on from the proof eagles now as looking at low mintage collector proofs more.

Right now ssome see the silver gold ratio coming back to normal so id invest in silver before gold right now, gold is being held very close to its base perhaps as its close to its record price, silver crossed 19.90 today and will probablyhit 20 then fall back to 19.50 before getting and staying above 20...i know right now im buying silver for investment and only gold for presents...i think the exchange rate will reduce to as little at 80 in the nesr future.

3 hours ago, SilverGameOfThrones said:

Terrible is do NOT invest into Silver for whats coming next . Markets are Russian roulette these days .

Let see what will happens when music stops .

I will never sell any of my coins so I don't pay attention to the market. My kids will inherit them (hopefully a long time from now) and they can keep them or sell them. I just enjoy collecting. 

3 hours ago, EddieC said:

You have an advantage there. That will be a nice collection when you get it completed. I've move on from the proof eagles now as looking at low mintage collector proofs more.

The proof eagles have become a side project while I continue adding coins from other countries to my collection. Lately I've been paying more attention to quantities minted. Right now I have six 2020 Tokelau 1 oz Silver $5 Flying Fish in my shopping cart. They have a limited mintage of 10,000 coins. 

5 hours ago, GLB49 said:

The proof eagles have become a side project while I continue adding coins from other countries to my collection. Lately I've been paying more attention to quantities minted. Right now I have six 2020 Tokelau 1 oz Silver $5 Flying Fish in my shopping cart. They have a limited mintage of 10,000 coins. 

Nice. I've gone for the RM Music Legends Queen (low mintage) and the 007 proofs (7007 mintage). Should finish that this year so not sure what's next for me? Also got a limited 2017 Krugerrand.

6 minutes ago, EddieC said:

Nice. I've gone for the RM Music Legends Queen (low mintage) and the 007 proofs (7007 mintage). Should finish that this year so not sure what's next for me? Also got a limited 2017 Krugerrand.

I'm a big music fan so I should look into the Music Legends coins.

I placed the order for the 1 oz Tokelau $5 Flying Fish coins and added six 2020 Barbados 1 oz Silver Caribbean Seahorse coins. They also had a limited mintage of 10,000.  A couple of months ago I bought nine John Wick 1 oz Silver Continental coins that are the silver version of the gold coins used in the movie. APMEX partnered with Lionsgate to have these coins minted in limited numbers. 

6 minutes ago, GLB49 said:

I'm a big music fan so I should look into the Music Legends coins.

I placed the order for the 1 oz Tokelau $5 Flying Fish coins and added six 2020 Barbados 1 oz Silver Caribbean Seahorse coins. They also had a limited mintage of 10,000.  A couple of months ago I bought nine John Wick 1 oz Silver Continental coins that are the silver version of the gold coins used in the movie. APMEX partnered with Lionsgate to have these coins minted in limited numbers. 

Yeah I saw the John Wick ones. Quite nice and did consider 1 myself but went for the Krugerrand instead.

34 minutes ago, EddieC said:

Yeah I saw the John Wick ones. Quite nice and did consider 1 myself but went for the Krugerrand instead.

I have a few Krugerrand coins but I would like more. I have six 2018 proof and nine 2020 BU. The proofs are a bit pricey. 

I mentioned earlier that my coins will go to my kids and since I have three kids everything I buy has to be in increments of three. 

7 hours ago, EddieC said:

Whatbabout the 2020 penguin...i think thats lm too.

10 hours ago, GLB49 said:

I have a few Krugerrand coins but I would like more. I have six 2018 proof and nine 2020 BU. The proofs are a bit pricey. 

I mentioned earlier that my coins will go to my kids and since I have three kids everything I buy has to be in increments of three. 

Same for me. 2 boys and what I am getting is for them but have decided to only buy 1 of the more premium coins and they can do with them as they please (jointly) when I pass it on to them.

Added 0 minutes later...
3 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

Whatbabout the 2020 penguin...i think thats lm too.

Tell me more?!

1 hour ago, EddieC said:

Same for me. 2 boys and what I am getting is for them but have decided to only buy 1 of the more premium coins and they can do with them as they please (jointly) when I pass it on to them.

Added 0 minutes later...

Tell me more?!

2020 crested new zealand penguin.

Three orders arrived yesterday from APMEX including some Silver Eagle proofs. I received 3 each of the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. Trying to fill that gap but I'll get there eventually. 

(Also received 6 Queen's Beast The Yale to go with my White Horse coins. I'll probably stop there since the earlier coins are expensive when you can find them in stock. Bullion Exchanges has Red Dragon BU in stock at $94 each. )  

3 hours ago, GLB49 said:

Three orders arrived yesterday from APMEX including some Silver Eagle proofs. I received 3 each of the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. Trying to fill that gap but I'll get there eventually. 

(Also received 6 Queen's Beast The Yale to go with my White Horse coins. I'll probably stop there since the earlier coins are expensive when you can find them in stock. Bullion Exchanges has Red Dragon BU in stock at $94 each. )  

I got the beasties asim english born, 2oz silver and 1oz gold...its been a journey alright...thefirst lion for a while was ridiculous price...thankfully got in before it happened.

2 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

I got the beasties asim english born, 2oz silver and 1oz gold...its been a journey alright...thefirst lion for a while was ridiculous price...thankfully got in before it happened.

I started collecting last December so I missed the good prices on a lot of coins that are a series. I really considered the Red Dragon but I have to buy a minimum of three so I passed. 

10 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

Check your local coin shops.

I would like to but the coin shops I know of near me are closed due to the Wuhan virus lock down. Obviously our governor doesn't consider coin shops to be essential businesses. 

Archived