• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Penny black 1990 Royal Mail PNC

SilverPebble

Hi all and thanks for taking the time to read this

I was given a 1990 penny black Royal Mail PNC and I'm trying to find out if the coin is .925 silver I do know that the Royal Mail issue silver coin PNC packs

The pack came with 6 double headed stamps at 20p and a COA but no information on the coin I've spent the last 2 weeks scanning the Internet trying to find information and I've also emailed the company that sold the pack and I've hit a brick wall

If anybody can help please post belowpost-407-0-27026200-1435609298_thumb.jpgpost-407-0-12685600-1435609311_thumb.jpgpost-407-0-72480800-1435609321_thumb.jpg

I have recently bought the reissue of the coin but I have put it away and don't have it here.

As far as I know the 1990 was issued in both silver and cupro nickel.

Here is a link of the cupro nickel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-Isle-Of-Man-1990-Penny-Black-150th-Anniversary-Crown-Coin-/201368567010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee2807ce2

The silver version is hard to find but here is the rerelease.

http://www.islandstampsandcoins.co.uk/the-2015-175th-anniversary-of-penny-black-stamp-coin-9344-p.asp

the cupro nickel should be thicker or the silver

one have a high rim. it'll be hard to tell when it's

in the packaging with nothing to compare against.

stupidly, mints do this frequently, they should just

stamp 925 on the edge.

HH

Here is a completed ebay listed in which they have it as silver proof.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-SILVER-PROOF-BLACKEN-ISLE-OF-MAN-1-CROWN-COIN-THE-PENNY-BLACK-PNC-1-500-COA-/201373407566?nma=true&si=7NDAw485OhWWx89SSn3BJOAY%252FAo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Their images show some extra text too. Maybe you have that on the back of the card.

I can't do the magnet test with destroying the packaging

try moving the magnet to try and pull against

the coin through the packaging. magnets won't

stick to silver or cupro nickel. so you need to

constantly move the magnet across the surface

of the coin and feel the resistance to movement

that it gives. silver gives a much stronger tug.

you can gauge this by trying the same thing on

another silver coin. try and avoid using 0.500

junk silver as they give inconsistent results.

HH

Are you using a neodymium magnet or a normal magnet ? If you slant the coin at 45 degrees and place the neodymium magnet on tne coin you can notice the slight pull by the magnet slowly sliding even through thick hard plastic coin capsules. If the magnet test is not working through that packaging I would guess its not silver

Archived