• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Glue from the blister or something else?

Sovstacker

Four (4) months after the purchase of this coin (2010 bullion gold sovereign), i took it out of its sealed (I believe it was sealed) blister to store it in a capsule as usual.
By placing it in the capsule and looking at it from an angle, I saw these signs that were not visible or I had not noticed, while it was in the blister.

Do you think this is glue that was in the blister or something else?

Is there a way to clean it without damaging the coin? (meaning that after cleaning it can get a grade and not details cleaned, regardless of whether it's worth sending for grading)

Thanks in advance

X48HfKb.jpg

Can’t really tell from the picture all that well but it does look like glue.

It’s only a modern bullion Sov so if it was me I would probably just try the old soap and warm water or put it in the ultrasonic cleaner 🤷‍♂️ 

I assume you were speaking hypothetically about getting it graded. I believe the only way to 100% safely “clean” a coin and not get a details grade is to send it for conservation and let them do the cleaning themselves.

I do not clean coins but have seen and heard of the use of acetone to remove glue / gum. Followed by distilled water and high pressure air to chase off the distilled water.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived