• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Need information on coins that make up Shield

Hi All,

I recently saw a photo Pinterest that had six GB circulation coins that made up a heraldic shield on the reverse.

Can anyone tell me what year they are from and if they are hard to come by?

Did they issue proof versions in Silver?

I have a weakness for these puzzle sets and would like to get a set.

Cheers from downunder.

"In 2008 The Royal Mint launched a public competition. The aim of the competition was to find designs to replace those created for the first decimal coins of 1971. Matthew Dent won the competition.

A different detail from the shield of the Royal Arms is shown on the reverse of the 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p and 50p coins and when placed together the coins reveal the complete shield, which was seen in its entirety on the round pound coin. It is the only time that a single design has been used across a range of United Kingdom coins in such a way."

The base metal coins are not hard to come by and are the current "definitive" coins in the UK - they form the majority of coins below £1 in common circulation.

The silver shield set has been minted since 2008 in occasionally very low numbers. The 2016 silver proof set was limited to 383 sets. This made the 2016 silver £1 coin even rarer than its fat twin brother, the Piedfort. 

The only variation on the silver design was the 2012 Diamond Jubilee set, in which the reverse of all the shield coins were minted with a "gold silhouette" ...aka gilded (see picture below ) .

I believe @terakris may have the 1p - 50p silver coins from 2012 available after he bought the year set to plunder the Kew Gardens 50p coin. If not feel free to PM me - I have the 2015 shield 1p - 50p.

Alternatively, if you buy a complete set from 2010, 11 or 12 and do not require the £1 shield then I would be interested in buying it from you.

2016 Silver Shield.jpg

2016 £1 Obverse 1.jpg

2016 £1 Reverse 1.jpg

2012 Set.jpg

All Wars Are Central Bankers' Wars

Hi All,

yes that’s is the set I saw, thanks for the info I will check out the availability when things settle down.

Things are pretty unsettling here at present, my eldest son works in a local hospital and they have had an outbreak of the virus.

Not in his area and he and his immediate group have all tested negative but they will all be getting weekly tests until it is all over so the stress will be ongoing for a while.

Keep isolated everyone.

Archived