• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any knowledge on this coin?

18 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you send the coin to the Royal Mint, they are likely to confiscate it, but possibly pay you 80p for it.

Regarding the £1 trial coins, these were supplied to relevant parties on the strict condition that they were all returned to the Mint, who were very active at the time, clamping down on ebay and other listings for them. The RM stance is that they are legally the property of the Royal Mint. Although I am sure they are perfectly entitled to do this, I believe it is s short-sighted, uninformed attitude.

While I would not encourage you to illegally remain in possession of the coin, armed with the above knowledge, you can consider carefully what action to take.

Thanks for this. I sent it to them. They authenticated it and returned it to me! The Mints attitude towards the 2014-2016 £1 trial coins has relaxed and you can now openly buy and sell them. There was a graded version in the recent coin cabinet auction!

This coin is around ten years old and not part of the modern £1 tests or trials - instead they said: ‘probably produced around 10 years ago, possibly with a view to testing the aesthetics and practicality of using shaped inners for bi-metallic plated steel coins.’

No certainty at all, even from the museum!

It was in the last Sov Rareties auction but was withdrawn for private reasons (I had nearly 40 coins in that auction that were withdrawn in the end!). It was then put on EBay and really struggled so I just withdrew it. I wasn’t going to just give it away.

The coin is currently sitting in a safe place. No idea what to do with it and am just going to wait and see if I can learn more about it first. Cheers!!